Cut Fill tool - allow DEM as the file type

02-12-2024 07:38 AM
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

Site Scan allows a comparison surface in the Cut/Fill tool, but it only accepts xml files, or "LandXML" I've heard them called. Currently there is no workflow to convert a simple DEM into a LandXML. I would like to be able to use DEMs as the comparison surface since that is what most GIS users are going to have access to. 

2 Comments
dozer
by Esri Contributor
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @JamesBurton1 , thanks for the idea. A common workflow supported in Site Scan is to generate an initial elevation surface by processing a mission, then using that DSM or DTM as a comparison surface against a future mission, to measure changes from time 1 to time 2. Would this help in your situation?

To understand your use case some more, what is typically the source of your DEM files that you wish to use as a comparison surface? 

JamesBurton1

Your common workflow would work for a site where you had lead time to do a flight prior to disturbance. For my scenario, dirt has already been moved and I want to use a DEM from another source, such as NGS or UGRC, to use as the initial elevation surface you described.