unusual merge

03-23-2021 12:35 PM
GustavoAmadoRigatto
New Contributor II

I need to reorganize my data.

to do this i need to merge points in a particular way.

i need to merge the data from points that have less records to the point with most records inside a 5 km buffer created around the latter.

the problem is that to generate that buffer i need to find all the "points with most records", but the "points with most records" is a locally determined, because i have to compare the data in a small scale.

and i dont know how to do any of that
(i don't even know if it is possible to do this in arcmap) 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VictoriaPhillips1
Esri Contributor

Hi! Going to tag @DawnWright  to see if she knows how to do this.

0 Kudos
VictoriaPhillips1
Esri Contributor

Also going to tag @DavidPike !

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would guess the 'most records' points would be highly dependant upon the order of the process.  Probably talking about some multiple moving windows kind-of analysis to initially find the points you'll then buffer by, but I think it's non-trivial, but I may be wrong of course. 

Also have no idea what 'most records' means for your points other than guessing it's a numeric attribute.  Also not sure what the merge would be - is each point a separate feature class/shapefile, or are these points all within  the same feature class?  If so, would the merge also include combining/summing those attributes, or simply removing the non-maximum points in the 5km buffer?

Maybe if you explained the rationale behind doing this, others could offer up alternatives.

GustavoAmadoRigatto
New Contributor II

yeah it was difficult trying to explain. The technical terms gets me too (I am from brazil)

the "records" mentioned earlier are mammal sighting records in the atlantic forest, variables inside each point or number of lines inside a spreadsheet, and so the same shapefile. 

I would like to, while merging the "non-maximum points" to "the most record point", erase the non maximum from the map.

I am analyzing the effect invasive mammals cause in native mammals, to do that I am using the data from a data set with a lot of points, which in many cases doesn’t correspond with that Community by itself, i.e. They could be resampling, so I need to merge the records in a 5km buffer of a point (the “most record point” by my adviser suggestion) to create an unique local comunnity point,
The problem is each “cluster” of points has its own “most record” point and I need a single point to analyze as the local mammal Community.

I hope it is more clear now

0 Kudos
VictoriaPhillips1
Esri Contributor

Also, your question might get more traffic on the ArcMap Questions page! This page is mostly used for questions about scientific information and research but not technical GIS questions:)

Here's a link to the ArcMap page. Let me know if I can help in any other way! 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcmap-questions/bd-p/arcmap-questions

GustavoAmadoRigatto
New Contributor II

thanks!
I'll post there too!!

0 Kudos