Select to view content in your preferred language

Scene Viewer New Functionality- How to Edit to Upload 3D models in Web Scene?

Jump to solution
06-15-2023 12:30 PM
Labels (2)
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Scene Viewer Team, 

We're very excited for the new capability to upload 3D Models into the scene viewer. We have lots of OBJ files and are excited to test it out. 

I watched your video tutorial in the the ArcGIS Online June 2023 Update announcement but it's uncear how you got to this setting/functionality: 
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/3d-gis/whats-new-in-scene-viewer-june-2023/ 

Amanda__Huber_3-1686857235792.png

It seems you need to have an editable scene layer to start(?) 

When we try to create a scene layer from AGOL > Create Item> Scene layer it appears OBJ files aren't supported: 

Amanda__Huber_4-1686857296698.png

That being said, we're trying to understand how to get started/set up a layer like to to add our OBJ files too. (Apologies if this is an obvious answer, we're just dabbling into the world of 3D GIS now)

Thanks in advance!

Amanda Huber

25 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

So let's say I want to bring a 3D asset from CityEngine to ultimately Scene Viewer. Is the process same for bringing over assets from CityEngine to ArcGIS Pro 3.1 that you mentioned under `Prepare data using latest ArcGIS Pro 3.1`? 

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
VeronikaLanders
Esri Contributor

Hi Saadullah,

could you share this in a bit more detail through a direct message? I'm not sure I understand what exactly you would like to do but generally, the process for supported 3D models that you have stored on disk is the same (independent of the source software).

Thanks,
Veronika

kristian_inCitu
New Contributor II

Hi, this is a great feature 👏. Is there any plan to support the 3d model upload in API?
Thanks, 
Krisztian

VeronikaLanders
Esri Contributor

Hi Kristian,

actually 🙂 not just a plan - we released it also as a beta for the Maps SDK for JavaScript.

You can find more information in our SDK Release Notes and please feel free to reach out with your more specific questions, ideas and thoughts also through direct messages to our developer evangelist @ArnoFiva or me. Please keep in mind that this is a beta feature where documentation has room for improvement, we might still change public API and you may encounter some unexpected issues.

Thanks and looking forward,
Veronika

kristian_inCitu
New Contributor II

Hi Veronika,

Thank you so much for the update! I'm excited to hear that the new feature is available in Maps SDK for JavaScript. Starting to explore it and hopefully provide some positive feedback. 😀

Best, 
Krisztian

0 Kudos
BernardRIXEN
Esri Contributor

I tested this great idea ! It's a lot easer to update/upload 3D models.

I made it work with a dataset in wgs84 in a globale scene. Does it also work within a local scene and other coordinate systems ?

I tried to upload quite big files (>100MB), which are not uncommon, and they failed to load. Are there known limitations (max file size, max number of faces, possible unsupported features like material...) ?

By the way, when loading, a model was lying on its side. We're now able to turn it in the horizontal plane. It would be great to be able to do it in the other planes too.

Best, Bernard

0 Kudos
VeronikaLanders
Esri Contributor

Hi Bernard,

it is also supported in local scenes for projected coordinate systems. Depending what you would like to do, a local scene is actually the best path during the beta phase as we are aware of some issues with geographical coordinate systems in our beta release.

For larger or more complex models we would be happy if you could share those with us together with their use cases - we are currently evaluating the technical and user experience limits of what we can fully support in terms of size and complexity on the web when moving out of beta while not limiting our users arbitrarily based on file size only.

I would love to hear more about your use case, especially around your requirement for switching planes. Please feel free to send me a direct message to continue this conversation or if you happen to go to the User Conference I'm sure @ArnoFiva will be happy to meet with you.

Best,
Veronika

0 Kudos
JoeEastman1
New Contributor II

For those of us without Pro, we are kind of stuck and not able to use this new functionality. The process for getting a 3D Object enabled feature class out of Pro seems straight forward. But without that .zip file of the FGDB those without Pro are helpless.

Because the process of creating a blank 3D Object enabled feature class is so trivial, it seems that at the least perhaps Esri could share a sample .zip file of the FGDB with everything we need to upload to AGOL. Then we could publish the scene layer no problem and start using this functionality. Is it possible to get a very simple file we can use to upload and get started? I've scoured the internet for something like this but came up empty handed.

0 Kudos
VeronikaLanders
Esri Contributor

Hi Joe,

thanks for reaching out.

Support for a ready to use workflow through ArcGIS Online is on our roadmap this year. However, we are happy to support you exploring this topic already while it is still in beta. Please send me a direct message to discuss your requirements and we can provide an appropriate workaround until the full workflow is possible.

Best,
Veronika

0 Kudos
RossFindlayCOC
New Contributor III

Is this still available in AGO? Since Upgrade, I can't edit my scene layer.

0 Kudos