File Geodatabase to Enterprise Geodatabase preserve scale and precision of FLOAT data

02-05-2024 09:10 AM
Labels (2)
BrettLawson1
New Contributor II

When developing a new Roads and Highways database, I have been told that ESRI recommends to develop the database in a file geodatabase and then copy that into an enterprise geodatabase.  When you do that it will convert all the fields of type FLOAT to DOUBLE.  I think this as a result of not being able to set the precision or scale in a file geodatabase.  As far as I can tell you cannot alter the data type of the field in the enterprise geodatabase once it is copied over.

Maybe I miss-understood the recommendation and the true direction was to play around with creating the database in a file geodatabase and the recreate that database in an enterprise geodatabase rather than a copy and paste operation.

Does anyone have any insight into this or a way to alter the field type after copying the data from the file geodatabase to the enterprise geodatabase.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Hi Brett,

As a rule of thumb, it's best to model the target ALRS schema (with desired scale,precision) ahead of time and push the data into it (Append Events or Append).  I understand you are copying data and schema at the same time, so yes, you are going to get the default data type translations between file GDB and enterprise GDB.