Workflow Calibrate Routes with existing Calibration Points in Roads and Highways

Jump to solution
02-16-2018 06:32 AM
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi

I have a question regarding the workflow Route Calibration when creating an ALRS. Is it possible to use existing Calibration Points for route calibration?

The help does not describe the worklfow exactly.

After creatoin the ALRS network you will be asked if you want to update the calibration points. This tool only creates new ones and do not use existing ones for the route calibration.

Is there any possibiltiy at all?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter - Great question. You can add your own calibration points to your network using the following procedure:

1) Once you've loaded your network, do not run the Update Calibration GP tool (Choose No when prompted after polyline loading).

2) You'll need to prepare your existing calibration points to match the Calibration Point feature class you've modeled as part of the ALRS minimum schema. One method to do this is to create a staging feature class modeled similarly to the calibration point feature class used by the ALRS. Our documentation provides guidance on the required fields for calibration (ALRS data model—Roads and Highways Desktop | ArcGIS Desktop).

3) Once you've created the staging feature class, use a Simple Data Load (SDL) operation to load your calibration data into the stage feature class field mapping the route ID and measure information. Optionally, you'll also need to be sure your temporal fields (From Date/To Dates) are mapped if you are loading multiple timeslices of roads.

3) Once you've populated your calibration point staging feature class, look at the dLRSNetworks domain in the GDB. Since Roads and Highways is capable of supporting multiple LRMs you'll need to field calculate the calibration point feature class field called NetworkID as whatever network coded value domain matches the network you're currently working with (most likely "1" if you only have one network).

4) Once you've populated all the required field information into your calibration point staging feature class, simply SDL your stage data into the Calibration Point minimum schema object.

5) Right Click on your ALRS network and choose Generate Routes.

Of course, you could streamline this approach by simply loading your data into the Calibration Point feature class directly and just applying the field calculations for temporality and NetworkID rather than staging the data. I just sometimes prefer staging data and making sure it is exactly as I want it before I actually push it to R&H. Should you wish to discuss more complex data loading procedures and best practices just reach out to the Esri Transportation Team. Thanks!

-Amit

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter - Great question. You can add your own calibration points to your network using the following procedure:

1) Once you've loaded your network, do not run the Update Calibration GP tool (Choose No when prompted after polyline loading).

2) You'll need to prepare your existing calibration points to match the Calibration Point feature class you've modeled as part of the ALRS minimum schema. One method to do this is to create a staging feature class modeled similarly to the calibration point feature class used by the ALRS. Our documentation provides guidance on the required fields for calibration (ALRS data model—Roads and Highways Desktop | ArcGIS Desktop).

3) Once you've created the staging feature class, use a Simple Data Load (SDL) operation to load your calibration data into the stage feature class field mapping the route ID and measure information. Optionally, you'll also need to be sure your temporal fields (From Date/To Dates) are mapped if you are loading multiple timeslices of roads.

3) Once you've populated your calibration point staging feature class, look at the dLRSNetworks domain in the GDB. Since Roads and Highways is capable of supporting multiple LRMs you'll need to field calculate the calibration point feature class field called NetworkID as whatever network coded value domain matches the network you're currently working with (most likely "1" if you only have one network).

4) Once you've populated all the required field information into your calibration point staging feature class, simply SDL your stage data into the Calibration Point minimum schema object.

5) Right Click on your ALRS network and choose Generate Routes.

Of course, you could streamline this approach by simply loading your data into the Calibration Point feature class directly and just applying the field calculations for temporality and NetworkID rather than staging the data. I just sometimes prefer staging data and making sure it is exactly as I want it before I actually push it to R&H. Should you wish to discuss more complex data loading procedures and best practices just reach out to the Esri Transportation Team. Thanks!

-Amit

PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hello Amit,

Thank you for your detailed description. I was able to follow all the steps, but when I finally run on generate routes, I do not get any M values back.

Do you have any idea why this could happen? The Calibration Points also point to the correct network and centerline sequence table.

Thank you very much for your help!

Peter

0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter - Feel free to send me a file GDB with a subset of your source data and the ALRS. I can take a peak to see what is happening.

Amit

0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Peter,

What version of Roads and Highways are you using? 

The method described by Amit should work but you *must* turn off the Roads and Highways extension and start a new ArcMap session *before* editing any data in the Roads and Highways minimum schema.  After editing the minimum schema, turn the Roads and Highways extension back on, save, and restart your map document in a new ArcMap session.  

***ALTERNATIVELY ***

Can you encode your custom calibrated measures in the source routes, or add fields to the source route feature class that represent the beginning and ending route calibration points (e.g. BMP and EMP)? 

If so, then you should be able to 

1. Load your source routes into the ALRS using Load Routes
  2. Run Update Calibration Points noting the following
    1. Input Polyline Features should point to your source route feature class
    2. Calibration Point Features should point to your R&H ALRS calibration point feature class
    3. Calculation Method:  Choose either
      1. M_ON_ROUTE_2D, if your source routes have calibrated measures encoded in the M measures of vertices
      2. ATTRIBUTE_FIELDS_2D, if your source routes have BMP/EMP fields that represent the custom calibration you desire

Let us know how either methods work for you.  And if you still run into unexpected behavior, please send us a sample of your data so we can take a look at it.  

0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Amit, Clive

thank you so much for your help. Now i got the measures but after the creation i got a strange behavior. It creates a parallel line to my actual network. This should not exist.

My Input Dataset Looks like

After loading the routes i got the following result. As mentioned before, a parallel line was created.

Enclosed you will find an excerpt from the dataset

I have followed the following workflows:

Create a new feature Class. Unfortunately, I always get an error when I want to use an existing one.

Then I take the default settings and load REFGEOM_subset for the network then I followed the workflow of Amit which worked for me but with the strange behaivor above.

It would be amazing if you could find the reason for it.

I work with Roads and Highways 10.6

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter,

Will try to look into your specific case soon. I suspect there could be a discrepancy in spatial parameters and tolerance settings between your source data and your ALRS.

However, I also wanted to bring this conversation back to the scope of the greater question you initially posed in regard to custom calibration. The process Clive has outlined for you is also a viable workflow should you have M-values encoded on your source data. However, I would caution that should you have custom intermediate calibration points not associated with physically gapped routes (such as locked in measures at intersections) encoded in your source data you'll want to follow the original workflow I outlined.

Thanks

Amit

0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi, Amit,

Thank you for your explanations. I just had time to test your workflow. On the second try it worked, except for the strange behavior of a parellel line is created. Otherwise, the values are displayed correctly.
But I will also look at Clives Worklfow because my source data contains m values.
Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Amit,

i solved my Problem the issue was in the Output datasource. Thank you so much for your help!! The Calibration worked as well.

0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

That's great news, Peter.  I was just taking a look at your data.  Glad to hear you have the data shift problem solved.  

As a wrap up to our different methods of bringing in custom calibrations, the method Amit described should be used if there are custom calibration points *within* the extent of your route.  For example, some departments of transportation here in the States have historically set rounded value calibration measures at intersections along a route.  If your custom calibration only involves custom measures at the beginning and end points of a route, then the method I outlined will work for you (note that interior measures at vertices within the route will be linearly interpolated based on geometric length between the end point calibrations). 

0 Kudos