Select to view content in your preferred language

In ArcGIS 10.3 Network Analyst is there a method to route using just the selected features of a routing network and use multiple fields for the impedance? When trying to do that seems activating Network Analyst clears the selection set & only provides se

05-17-2016 10:26 AM
JeffThorn
Occasional Contributor III

Below is an image of the subject situation for the field selection. There were a number of fields in the StreetSegment theme... Also there were attributes joined to the StreetSegments that I'm interested in used for impedance factors...

ArcMap_NetworkAnalystRouteOnSelectionAndMultipleImpendance.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeslieKillian
New Contributor II

Network Analyst​ participants, can you help with this community member's question relating to whether there a method in Network Analyst 10.3 to route using just the selected features of a routing network and use multiple fields for the impedance?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shout out to Melinda Morang and Jay Sandhu​.....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
EricRodenberg
Esri Contributor

I just pingged the Network Analyst team for an answer.  I'll let you know what they have to say.

Eric J. Rodenberg | Solution Engineer Transportation Practice
Esri | 7775 Walton Pkwy, Suite 270 | New Albany, Ohio 43054-8202 | USA
T 614-933-8698, ext. 5503 | erodenberg@esri.com | esri.com
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Network Analyst solves routes using the network dataset. The network dataset provides the cost attribute that it minimizes on and a set of restrictions that can turn on/off places that can be traveled on, You can also import or set up temporary barriers.

That said, the cost attribute can be made from a combination of factors/fields in the input data. But in the end, there is only one cost attribute you can pick at a time. The route solver will not try to minimize more than one cost. So if you can combine the multiple fields into one cost then yes Network Analyst to solve on it. And you can add multiple cost attributes to a network dataset from different fields and pick any one of them to solve on.

As far as selections, what role are are they playing? Do you have a set of points to visit and you make a selection to visit a subset? If that is the case, when you Load or Add Locations to the stops, it does honor selections. The Load Locations has a check box for "Only load selected rows" and it will be Checked on by default if you have a selection but you can un-check it. If you are trying to select edges to "restrict" the travel to, then you will have to use the restriction model as I mentioned above to model these selections.

0 Kudos