Select to view content in your preferred language

I do not have access to the R package directory. How do I install the arcbindings package in a directory other than the default?

11-08-2017 08:26 PM
KarenKemp
New Contributor II

I am working on a virtual machine on which R has been installed by our admin. Following the instructions in the Using the R-ArcGIS Bridge web course, the installation fails because it tries to install into the C: drive where I do not have write access. I have tried to install manually through both the R console and RStudio, but I cannot figure out the syntax for the install.packages command to indicate the install directory (though I do seem to have been able to set something through .libPaths(). Importantly, I am not sure if the zip that I download from GitHub is the right file to install in R and whether there are other options in the install.packages command I need to set. Help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is this the installations page you are referring to?

https://github.com/R-ArcGIS/r-bridge-install#offline-installation

there is a link to screencast there as well

0 Kudos
KarenKemp
New Contributor II

Ah, ha! I didn’t see that second link to the arcgisbinding_1.0.0.128.zip. I bet that’s it! Will log on again (I just shut everything down for the night) and see if that will work.

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Karen,

Yes, those instructions should work for the offline installation. If you have ArcGIS Pro, you can also install the package from within the application -- visit Options > Geoprocessing, and at the bottom of the panel you can select the version of R. It should by default write the package to your Documents folder.

Cheers, Shaun

0 Kudos
KarenKemp
New Contributor II

Thanks Shaun, unfortunately, we’re still using Pro version 1.4. That functionality is not available until 2.0 we discovered today when students tried to use the “Analyze Crime Using Statistics and the R-ArcGIS Bridge” tutorial I had assigned. We had to go back to the old 1.4 version of the “Using the R-ArcGIS Bridge” web course.

However, I do seem to have been successful. I started by adding my accessible path in the R console:

• .libPaths(“my_path_for_packages”)

This puts my path in the library paths first.

Then I used the Packages/Install packages from local files item in the R console and pointed to the arcgisbinding file.

That seems to have done the trick!