Select to view content in your preferred language

Renderer / Display / Graphics / Level of Detail Settings for Scene View

Tuesday
Labels (1)
radimbachb
New Contributor III

Is there a way to change renderer / display / graphics settings for the Scene View?

We'd like to run Line Of Sight queries in the Scene View. Line Of Sight queries are highly dependent on what is rendered. A distant mountain has a low level of detail, thus the Line Of Sight query will also be less accurate.

We'd like to hover the camera directly above an object and do line of sight queries within its 50km surroundings.

Is there any way to force the renderer to render the surrounding at a certain level of detail?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KoushikHajra
Esri Contributor

Hello @radimbachb,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question.

Usually features that are close to the camera are of high fidelity and as you move further away the quality reduces. Having said that, it depends on a few factors. Eg, the fidelity would reduce more in the distance when it's a mobile device. But on desktop systems, the degradation is much less. 

Currently, there isn't currently a way to increase the level of detail for the surrounding. I'm sure the data would be from lower lod's at the 50km mark. So, sorry there is not much we can do at this point.

If you have more questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

I'd just add to @KoushikHajra's reply that visual analysis was deliberately designed and built to work only on what you see on the display. That's part of the reason that the actionable output of the analysis is very limited (e.g. we don't provide a polygon output from the viewshed analysis). What Koushik alludes to is that to deliver a performant and responsive display, there's a lot of trade-off that has to happen on different devices in consideration of their GPU, CPU, memory limitations, and data loads. As he mentions, desktop systems can afford to less aggressively reduce LOD levels at distance, but at 50km you'd almost certainly still see degradation.

Rather, the way to get an accurate and actionable analysis is to use the Geoprocessing APIs to make a request to a GP service. See the API Reference, and this viewshed sample.

All that said, we are always interested in identifying ways we can improve the SDKs so if you could DM me with more details on your use case, I'd like to learn more about what you're trying to build here.

0 Kudos