Select to view content in your preferred language

GenerateOfflineMap...Small Maps only??

Jump to solution
11-16-2020 09:56 AM
ArmandoGarcia3
New Contributor III

Hello friends of Esri,

I have successfully generating some offline maps. I've noticed an issue I had last year with making these TPK file maps.

Is there anything specific I need to be doing when Generating Offline maps??

I am getting this error: "world topographic map: illegal state"

I can only bypass this area by making such a small map, almost as if was just a few streets, and I need to get it to be at least a small town.

Is there anything specific I need to be doing? Thank you

Cheers,

Z

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukeSmallwood
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArmandoGarcia3 thanks for getting in touch.

It sounds as though you are running into the maximum tile limit allowed when exporting esri's image tiled basemaps. You could experiment with setting different values for minScale and maxScale on the GenerateOfflineMapParameters.html. The maxScale property controls how "zoomed-in" the data will be so if you supply a larger number here your map will use fewer tiles.

Another approach that may help is supplying a more targeted polygon for your area of interest. For example if your area is an irregular shape, you could take a more precise set of tiles offline by supplying a fitted Polygon rather than an Envelope.

You could also investigate using one of Esri's for export vector tile basemaps instead - these may allow you to get thee detail you need. This kind of data would use a vtpk instead of a tpk for your basemap. Here's a group describing those basemaps: https://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=c61ab1493fff4b84b53705184876c9b0#overview

Hope that's useful,

Luke

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LukeSmallwood
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArmandoGarcia3 thanks for getting in touch.

It sounds as though you are running into the maximum tile limit allowed when exporting esri's image tiled basemaps. You could experiment with setting different values for minScale and maxScale on the GenerateOfflineMapParameters.html. The maxScale property controls how "zoomed-in" the data will be so if you supply a larger number here your map will use fewer tiles.

Another approach that may help is supplying a more targeted polygon for your area of interest. For example if your area is an irregular shape, you could take a more precise set of tiles offline by supplying a fitted Polygon rather than an Envelope.

You could also investigate using one of Esri's for export vector tile basemaps instead - these may allow you to get thee detail you need. This kind of data would use a vtpk instead of a tpk for your basemap. Here's a group describing those basemaps: https://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=c61ab1493fff4b84b53705184876c9b0#overview

Hope that's useful,

Luke

0 Kudos