Select to view content in your preferred language

Where is the documentation on Pythons GetFieldValue_mb in the ESRI API

Jump to solution
06-25-2015 08:42 AM
BrianO_keefe
Honored Contributor

I can't believe that there isn't an easily discovered, easily searchable API reference for ESRI's Python.

I'm trying to get more information on the function: GetFieldValue_mb

I understand that this is in the ModelBuilder.

However, when I export as Python Script I now have a Python Command.

I need to be able to read the documentation on this and it is nowhere easily discovered.

Very frustrating... anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FreddieGibson
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian,

As Xander stated these commands should be searchable within our 10.3 documentation.

2015-06-26_0931.png

The only thing I want to note is that you're leveraging a "Model Only" tool and exporting the model to a python script. These "Model Only" tools are intended for use in ModelBuilder only, so you will need to leverage the functions available in the python to incorporate your conditional or loop logic.

usage.png

For example, a replacement for the GetFieldValue tool could to utilize a cursor to parse the value from the dataset.

Search Cursor

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/arcpy-data-access/searchcursor-class.htm

View solution in original post

2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
FreddieGibson
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian,

As Xander stated these commands should be searchable within our 10.3 documentation.

2015-06-26_0931.png

The only thing I want to note is that you're leveraging a "Model Only" tool and exporting the model to a python script. These "Model Only" tools are intended for use in ModelBuilder only, so you will need to leverage the functions available in the python to incorporate your conditional or loop logic.

usage.png

For example, a replacement for the GetFieldValue tool could to utilize a cursor to parse the value from the dataset.

Search Cursor

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/arcpy-data-access/searchcursor-class.htm