unsupported hash type md4

08-22-2022 12:16 PM
JaysonLindahl
Occasional Contributor

Not sure if anybody is experiencing this or not, but it is new to me.  I would say that this script had worked in the past, but is failing now.  

I am simply trying to log into our Portal which is Windows authenticated.  I pass in the line below:

gis = arcgis.gis.GIS(r"https://hostname.net/portal/","user.id","password", verify_cert=False)

Returned is: A general error occurred: unsupported hash type md4.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Which version of Python are you using on the client?  What version of Enterprise are you using.  This could be an error from the authentication server itself, too.

- V

0 Kudos
StephenM01
New Contributor III

I ran into this error trying to sign in using the arcgis.gis module recently too. It seemed to happen after upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0. We're on Enterprise 10.9.1 and using IWA for single sign-on.

I reinstalled Pro 2.9.4 and everything is working as expected again. I'm working with tech support to see if there's anything we can figure out.

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you provide the support request this is logged under? I believe what is happening is that for some legacy authentication systems, the md4 hashing algorithm is still in use. Pro 3.0 ships with OpenSSL 3.0 which disables these hashing algorithms by default. It is possible to reenable them though with some tradeoffs to do so.

Cheers, Shaun

0 Kudos
StephenM01
New Contributor III

Good insight Shaun, thanks! The support case number is 03123953.

0 Kudos
EPMAPSQuito
New Contributor

@StephenM01 have you reached to a solution regarding this case?? I'm running with the same issue

0 Kudos
StephenM01
New Contributor III

Their recommendation was to exclude username and password from the GIS() method, which worked for me in addressing this error. It seems that when you pass in the username and password the connection automatically uses the NTLM protocol for authentication, which isn't supported at ArcGIS Pro 3.0.

This article they recently published was very helpful in describing the cause of the issue and recommending solutions: https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000028494.

AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

This is very helpful!  Thank you for posting!

0 Kudos