Select to view content in your preferred language

Toolboxes

Jump to solution
05-05-2015 02:53 PM
daveDurkin
New Contributor II

Could someone give me some help on getting a toolbox into ARC Desktop 10.2.  I have tried many times without success and get various error messages.  I simply want to get the following tools into my application so that I can run them on some existing features

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e19b53170e004e46827b8129d6ef9bfe

It is my first time attempting to add custom tools so please feel free to start at a basic level from first principles!  I haven't found the online help particularly understandable / useful.

Many thanks......Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make sure you unzip everything in the same folder as shown in the link.  the structure of the toolbox and the scripts must be maintained, otherwise you will have to re-establish them.  I suspect that the toolbox and scripts work properly since it has been around for a while with no problems reported so far.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can I assume that you have gotten past the step of adding a toolbox to arctoolbox?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Right click in your workspace in Catalog, and select new toolbox. Right click the toolbox and select add script. Give the script a name, and generally select relative paths and click next., navigate to your script location and click next. Now you have to add parameters if you need them. Does your tool have user defined parameters? If not, you can just click finish. If you do I will tell you how to add those after you reply.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Seph...the toolbox already exists, it just needs to be added to arctoolbox

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Oh sorry, I'm half asleep today, I swear!

0 Kudos
daveDurkin
New Contributor II

Thanks Sephe and Dan

Dan - I added the toolbox (I thought), I got the error message that the scripts didn't exist - I suspect I have added it wrongly.  I did get a dialogue box with sensible parameters to add.

Seph - I tried adding the script, I assumed it would sort its own parameters out - it didn't and I got a dialogue with no parameters.

Thanks both

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Following the procedure I outlined in my latest comment, the scripts did indeed have parameters ready to enter in the dialog. Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse things with my first answer--it was sort of off track.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I was also able to add the toolbox to ArcToolbox by right clicking in the ArcToolbox window, selecting Add Toolbox, and then navigating to the correct location and selecting it. It still opened just fine. Where are you saving the files when you unzip them?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

So, I downloaded the toolbox from the link, unzipped it to a location on my C drive, and then in the catalog window in ArcMap, I was able to navigate to the scripts no problem. They opened up a dialog as expected when I double-clicked, but I didn't try running them. What happens when you follow that procedure Dave?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

PS. I nabbed the tool for myself because it looks handy!

0 Kudos