SQL query for symbology

Jump to solution
06-05-2013 12:14 PM
LawrenceFujiwara
New Contributor III
Hi,

I was working with ArcMap when I noticed that there are no SQL query for symbology like they have for labels. (I want to select from more than one attribute to display)

I was wondering if I would need to write out a script to have a SQL query for the symbology.

I personally have no knowledge in writing any scripts so would like to avoid it but if there is no way how would I go about writing this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
If you just want to display based on more than one attribute, does the Categories, Unique values, many fields option not work?

Also, you can create a style file and have it automatically assign symbology based on the categories in the styles file.

See here for the options:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Drawing_a_layer_using_categories/00s500000...

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KerryAlley
Occasional Contributor
Hi Lawrence,

It isn't possible to have multiple "Symbol Classes" that behave similarly to "Label Classes," with or without Python.  Whenever I want to apply different symbologies to the same layer/dataset, I create multiple copies of the original layer and then give each copy its own definition query and symbology.  Even if you wanted to automate this process with Python, you'd still have to have pre-existing layer files with the desired definition queries and symbologies, which could then be imported into your new layers.

Good luck!
Kerry
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
If you just want to display based on more than one attribute, does the Categories, Unique values, many fields option not work?

Also, you can create a style file and have it automatically assign symbology based on the categories in the styles file.

See here for the options:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Drawing_a_layer_using_categories/00s500000...

R_
0 Kudos
LawrenceFujiwara
New Contributor III
"Unique values with many field" is exactly what I needed.

Thank you!
0 Kudos