Select to view content in your preferred language

SQL error when using Python call argument

Jump to solution
03-07-2013 01:01 PM
BobMCkay
Deactivated User
Hi,

The following code add two arguments to the Python call. The first argument works fine but the second gives an invalid SQL error when using SELECT. The script I have attached shows the parcel string hard coded to a Parcels variable, this works OK. Can someone provide the correct string for strParcels? Note the \\ is meant to relate to a \ in the final SQL

strOwner = "Lett"
    strParcels = "PARCEL_SPI = '1\\TP8994'"

retVal = Shell("cmd.exe /K S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py " & strOwner & " " & strParcels, 1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Hi,

The following code add two arguments to the Python call. The first argument works fine but the second gives an invalid SQL error when using SELECT. The script I have attached shows the parcel string hard coded to a Parcels variable, this works OK. Can someone provide the correct string for strParcels? Note the \\ is meant to relate to a \ in the final SQL
strOwner = "Lett" strParcels = "PARCEL_SPI = '1\\TP8994'" retVal = Shell("cmd.exe /K S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py " & strOwner & " " & strParcels, 1)

Wow, that's a tricky one because you need to pass your string arguments through VBScript/VB/VBA (whatever that is), Windows shell, and Python to your tool!

Here's my guess at it. I used literal double-quotes (""") to make sure arguments get passed to thru the Windows shell command line. I don't think you need to escape the "\" in your SQL expression because it will be read as a literal string before the Python interpreter gets a hold of it.

strOwner = """Lett""" strParcels = """PARCEL_SPI = '1\TP8994'""" retVal = Shell("cmd.exe /K " & _     "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe " &_     "S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py " &_     strOwner & " " & strParcels, _     1)

This is as if you typed the command line (probably a good way to test it):

C:\> cmd.exe /K C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe ^ S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py "Lett" "PARCEL_SPI = '1\TP8994'"

Note cmd.exe /c may be a better choice, otherwise the shell continues to sit out there. Or you could just run Python directly:

C:\> C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe ^ S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py "Lett" "PARCEL_SPI = '1\TP8994'"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Hi,

strOwner = "Lett" strParcels = "PARCEL_SPI = '1\\TP8994'" retVal = Shell("cmd.exe /K S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py " & strOwner & " " & strParcels, 1)

Wow, that's a tricky one because you need to pass your string arguments through VBScript/VB/VBA (whatever that is), Windows shell, and Python to your tool!

Here's my guess at it. I used literal double-quotes (""") to make sure arguments get passed to thru the Windows shell command line. I don't think you need to escape the "\" in your SQL expression because it will be read as a literal string before the Python interpreter gets a hold of it.

strOwner = """Lett""" strParcels = """PARCEL_SPI = '1\TP8994'""" retVal = Shell("cmd.exe /K " & _     "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe " &_     "S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py " &_     strOwner & " " & strParcels, _     1)

This is as if you typed the command line (probably a good way to test it):

C:\> cmd.exe /K C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe ^ S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py "Lett" "PARCEL_SPI = '1\TP8994'"

Note cmd.exe /c may be a better choice, otherwise the shell continues to sit out there. Or you could just run Python directly:

C:\> C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe ^ S:\MID_Owners_Database_Workspace\OwnerProperty.py "Lett" "PARCEL_SPI = '1\TP8994'"
0 Kudos
BobMCkay
Deactivated User
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go and get back to you. PS I'm running VBA from Access
0 Kudos
BobMCkay
Deactivated User
Many thanks. Works well.
0 Kudos