Spatial join based on points attribute.

04-02-2019 01:08 AM
ShouvikJha
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, 

I have multiples polygon files and points file. Multiple points falls into the single polygon. I want to join the polygon to points, which will create a new attribute where the row of polygon attribute will be remain same but the column will increase based on point falling falling into single polygon. Now i am using the Spatial join tool in ArcGIS 10.3 but its creating the duplicate polygon based on the number. 

Now, how should i join two files, where in the ploygon attribute row will be same but only column will be increased based on the points falling into the same ploygon using arcgis 10.3. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Are you trying to count the number of points within each polygon?

A spatial join of the polygons to the points should give you a table which can then be summarised by the polygon id (whatever that might be).

Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Summarizing data in a table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop    

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Are the polygons all separate with no overlaps? If they do overlap, you may need to Union the polygons first.

ShouvikJha
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @Neil , thanks, No i am not trying to count the points and there is no overlap in the polygon.

I have one of polygon file which contains 3 percels and one point file which contains multiples points. And that multiples points fall into different polygons, i want to join the multiple polygon with points fall into same polygon. If i use the Spatial join than if suppose i have 5 points fall into the one polygon then its created 5 same polygon in the ploygon's attribute.  but i want to keep the polygon no constant where only column will be increased depend on the falling points. How to do it. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like you need to do a screen grab to show your situation. It is hard to tell from your description whether the polygons overlap or not.  If they do, then it may be worthwhile intersecting/unioning them so that you end up with a unique non-overlapping landscape first

LukeAllen2
Occasional Contributor