Scripting new function with MultipleRingBuffer - ERROR 000732: Input Features: Dataset GPL0 does not exist or is not supported

02-10-2017 03:45 AM
IsaacBoates
New Contributor

I am writing an arcpy script that at one point uses MultipleRIngBuffer, and then modifies the attribute table of the features that are created.  I have created a GUI for the tool as a script in a toolbox.  The first parameter is the input feature class, which will be buffered and have its attribute table modified.  It is of "Feature Layer" type.

If I use the table of contents entry for the feature class which I wish to buffer, I get this error:

ERROR 000732: Input Features: Dataset GPL0 does not exist or is not supported

However, if I use the direct path to the feature class (i.e. through ArcCatalog), it works.

I am hoping to resolve this somehow because I want users to be able to drag and drop TOC entries into the GUI like they can with any other tool.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsaacBoates
New Contributor

I also just noticed that for some reason, it seems to remove the feature class from the table of contents at some point when the script is running.

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Could you post some of your code you are using?  Feature Layer is the correct parameter type you should be using for TOC Layers(as long as they are referencing a feature class of course), so not sure from what you've posted so far what the issue might be.

Also for posting code(saw another of your posts) see: https://community.esri.com/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/08/14/script-formatting 

Edit: grammar changes, I think faster than I type......

0 Kudos