Rapidly Export Multiple Selected Features from Multiple Layers into Excel?

06-05-2017 06:57 AM
ThomasColton
New Contributor

I am very new to ArcGIS and am very unfamiliar with the process of using Python.

How can I export several selected features from more than one layer into Excel?

I want to be able to lasso select an area or select by location and be able to export every selected row from their various attribute tables into either one large list on Excel or into separated lists for further data processing in Excel

(I am working on stormwater network retrofits and want to be able to rapidly assess approximate costs of different project areas by selecting all features within a certain area, export to excel where I plan to use formulas to determine lengths of pipe widths, areas of sidewalk replacement, numbers of affected utility poles, etc.) 

Altogether, how can I export selected items from multiple attribute tables to Excel rapidly?

If there is a way to do this using Modelbuilder, that would be awesome too.

Thank you so very much for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

There are many different ways to accomplish this. You can use Python, or Modelbuilder or just run tools individually. I'd personally go about it in this way (running the tools one at a time unless you need to turn this into some sort of automated process):

• Select you features
  • Run Merge with those features into a new featureclass
    • Note that you need all the same feature type (poly, point, line) to run merge
  • Run Table to Excel from that new featureclass to get your excel

If you dont have the same feature type, you can:

• Select your features
  • run Copy Rows (this will generate a table of the selected attributes)
  • Run Append or Merge to combine all the tables
  • Run Table to Excel
ThomasColton
New Contributor

This seems like it should work, thank you.

0 Kudos
ThomasColton
New Contributor

How do I make it work such that only the selected features are copied and not all of the features within a given layer?

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Thomas,

The tools honor the selection. If you're inside ArcMap with a selection and run Merge, only the selected features are copied over.

0 Kudos
ThomasColton
New Contributor

I'm sorry, you are correct. I misspoke, is there any way that only the selected records can be copied over instead of the full attribute table.

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you mean something like - your featureclass has the following fields:  A, B, C, D, E but you only want to copy C, D, E into your final output?

Then, yes, absolutely. See the "Field Map" parameter for both the Merge and Append tool. That control allows you to control what field from the source inputs get created/copied into the output featureclass.

0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II

The Water Utilities Editing tools comes with a quick export to Excel tool.

It's simple to use: select many features from many feature classes, press the button and they appear in excel on individual tabs.(coded values come across as the full descriptions)

Documentation | ArcGIS for Water 

0 Kudos