Select to view content in your preferred language

Python tutorial

Jump to solution
09-15-2022 05:36 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

What is a good online resource with examples for a novice on Python?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
I_AM_ERROR
Occasional Contributor

I haven’t done his python videos but Net Ninja on YouTube has absolutely amazing videos. Highly recommended.

In general I find videos much more useful for getting started on new languages and concepts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

I really like:  https://www.w3schools.com/python/

I_AM_ERROR
Occasional Contributor

I haven’t done his python videos but Net Ninja on YouTube has absolutely amazing videos. Highly recommended.

In general I find videos much more useful for getting started on new languages and concepts.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

I used Code Academy, but a GIS-specific class offered through PennState World Campus was what really took me to the next level.  If you can afford it, I suggest it.  https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog485/node/91

They do put the materials online, but having that student/teacher and student/student interaction is valuable.

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

On YouTube, I loved Socratica.  Their videos are short and well edited; they appear futuristic and serious, but that's what makes their tongue-in-cheek, dry humor so funny.  Lastly, I have learned a lot in my career, not just about Python, but about ArcGIS and other languages by making mistakes and learning from those.  Python is one of those languages where you can try stuff, right in a Python command line, and see if it works or doesn't.  Training will help you develop well-organized, well-written, and well-documented Python.  Always remember to document not just what your Python code is doing but also why.  What problem does it solve, who asked for it, when did you write it, and any warnings to offer people who find your code later.