Python the road ahead

07-14-2020 08:31 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Just sitting in 'Python Across the ArcGIS Platform': big take away is they "have heard us" and the ability to update as opposed to re-create clones with Pro version updates in on the road map!

Dan Patterson

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Points raised on Beta .

The big disappointment for me is sticking with 3.6, meaning 3.7 (or probably 3.8) won't roll out until next year.  Lots of cool/new stuff in the latest incarnations.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

And, we are still stuck with Conda 4.3.x even though Conda 4.4.x was released 12/2017 and the current Conda version is 4.8.x.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

good question... I will ask and go through the changelog to see why not 

Release notes — conda 4.8.3.post67+586742cb documentation 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Baby steps, I guess....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Updating user environments on upgrade of Pro...? It's going to have potential for lots of issues - package versions, 3rd party channels. I treat conda envs as disposable, to be spun up and disposed of as required.  It's a lot easier to build a fresh env than fix or update one.

What would really be useful is an updated conda.  

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree, Luke, maintaining/updating user environments between Pro releases will end up creating more problems than it solves.  I am also concerned one outcome might be Esri slowing down their adoption of new Python releases, which is already slow.  I would much rather have the latest conda and Python versions and rebuild a user environment myself because as you mention, they are disposable and easily rebuilt.