Python's version for Object Model Diagram

03-28-2012 12:29 PM
BaileyLipscomb1
New Contributor
When I was taught ArcObjects, an object model diagram was in existence.

I am now using Python. Is there anything similar to the object model diagram for Python. I looked at the documentation starting on this page: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/What_is_ArcPy/000v000000v7000000/

However, this section on arcpy does not appear to cover all functions, classes etc.

Can someone point me to a full documentation of arcpy?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
No such official document exists.
0 Kudos
BaileyLipscomb1
New Contributor
No such official document exists.

So there's no place to get a full listing of arcpy functions, classes, and modules?
0 Kudos
SebastianSieh
New Contributor
So there's no place to get a full listing of arcpy functions, classes, and modules?

may you mean something like this? (Unofficial)
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
may you mean something like this? (Unofficial)

That is just a photoshopped version of the 9.3.1 GP model. A lot changed in the arcpy module, enough that I would consider following that diagram a bad idea.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
In a word... No.

It's not complete, but have you seen this: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/50806-ArcPy-Geoprocessor-OMD-v10-Unofficial

While I wouldn't call it documentation exactly, the Python auto-complete function is pretty helpful to give you an idea of what's available in terms of methods and properties - even tool syntax.

Besides, why would anyone want an easy to use reference document that, say, you could print and "look at"?

I think many (all?) of us are really rooting for ESRI to change their minds and publish an arcpy OMD for v10.1.
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, see the ArcGIS 10 help. Particularly the ArcPy site package, but see also Geoprocessing with Python, Geoprocessing environment settings and the Geoprocessing tool reference.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Start Pythonwin then type
>>> import arcpy

then type

>>> dir(arcpy)

then choose what you want and type

>>> help(arcpy.whateverYouWantHelpOn)
0 Kudos