Python Install

06-18-2020 08:48 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have always used ArcGIS to install python for me and despite the typical issues we've all experienced with ArcGIS Pro updates and cloning, it's always worked out just fine.

One of our team members would like to start dabbling in python, but not with arcpy, and I'm thinking about having her just do a straight python install following : How To Install Python 3 on Windows {Quickstart}  and getting the install files right from Python Releases for Windows | Python.org .

Having never followed this approach, what gotchas do I need to look out for? I guess it creates a default environment that we can then add anaconda packages to?

TIA

Dan Patterson

Joshua Bixby

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe,

Typically, I install Anaconda. I do this for a few reason:

• It installs a package and environment manager (conda)
  • The base environment includes a huge number of popular packages by default.
  • Jupyter Notebook is installed alongside the environment.

https://www.anaconda.com/products/individual

-Josh

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I usually recommend Miniconda — Conda documentation  for situations like you describe.  It is fairly stripped down, so it doesn't take up tons of space with numerous packages someone doesn't want/need, but it has conda with it so packages can be easily added.  Plus, getting more familiar with conda will make working with Pro's Python bundle easier.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Moi aussi... an anaconda or miniconda would more than suffice.

Be forewarned about the version that they install, they might want to jump to 3.8

Anaconda package lists — Anaconda documentation 

since we are a couple of generations behind at present.

Now, you will be responsible to clean up the mess when they want to have "arcpy" 

... sort of retired...