Python in ArcGIS 10.3

06-10-2014 10:25 AM
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
http://gisinc.com/talk/2014-esri-international-developer-summit-day-2-recap
Python 3.4 will be supported with ArcGIS for Professionals

Does any know for certain which version of Python will ship with 10.3? Since it comes with ArcGIS for Professionals I thought it would be 3.4 but I haven't found any officials sources. Previous sources seemed to indicate ArcGIS 11 would be moving to 3.x but I'm not sure if this product release was renamed or that release was pushed back.
Tags (2)
34 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Kevin:

When opening ArcGIS Professional Beta, it is asking for my ESRI organization account.  Are these credentials going to be required when using this program in it's production version or is this just because it's in the Beta testing phase?

Where do we post comments about Beta software?
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Michael,

Unsure about your license question.
I'd suggest posting to the beta forum. From the above link I posted to beta download, go there, and about half way down on the right is a "FORUMS" button. Someone with more knowledge on licensing should be able to help.
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Just an FYI that I had issues with and just got resolved. This requires you to use your admin ArcGIS Online account, NOT your ArcGIS license admin account.
0 Kudos
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor
What version of numpy will be installed with ArcGIS Pro and will python be installed in a separate directory (i.e. C:\Python34)?
0 Kudos
JasonScheirer
Occasional Contributor III
Python is an optional install in Pro App. If you don't download/install the Python for ArcGIS Pro package, Python will only be available from within the Pro App (it contains a Python runtime, not a full installation).

Right now Pro App is at NumPy 1.8.0, I believe it'll be updated to the most recent version before Pro App's release date.

The Python for Pro App installer will do what you expect it to do: it will install by default to C:\Python34\ (not C:\Python34\Desktop10.X\ like in previous versions).
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Layerfiles (.lyr) can be imported into Pro. You cannot save a lyr file. Pro will save lyrx files which are not backwards compatible to 10.x

Hi Kevin, is that option for importing layer files (*.lyr) 100% compatible, and especially will the display of all feature symbolization and feature labelling be 100% the same in both ArcGIS for Desktop and Pro? It is a real nightmare for cartographers to have to redesign loads of layer files, so it is vital to have truly good compatibility and transfer of properties to the maximum extent possible.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Kevin, is that option for importing layer files (*.lyr) 100% compatible, and especially will the display of all feature symbolization and feature labelling be 100% the same in both ArcGIS for Desktop and Pro? It is a real nightmare for cartographers to have to redesign loads of layer files, so it is vital to have truly good compatibility and transfer of properties to the maximum extent possible.

Marco,
I don't have that detailed information. You best way to get these questions answered is to:
1) Get involved in the beta (with the links posted previously)
2) Direct Pro specific questions to the Pro beta forums.
0 Kudos
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

My understanding from Esri reps is that 10.x will continue to use Python 2.7.

Confirmed ArcGIS Pro will use Python 3.4:

Python 3 migration—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS for Professional

(With most current build as at writing)

Installation dir is quoted as C:\Python34, which sounds more like a full installation than a runtime (per Jason Scheirer‌), but in practise it is not there and is installed  as ArcGIS Pro\bin\Python.  There is no python.exe which seems to support Jason's comment.

Numpy version included is 1.8.0

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Jason Scheirer‌ comments are correct.

Python is an optional install. If you don't install full Python installation, there will be "Python runtime" version where you've referenced (ArcGIS Pro\bin\Python). There is no exe for you to use in this case that, and you will only be available to use Python from within the app.

The full installation will be at c:\Python34 and includes the python.exe

0 Kudos
AdamCox1
Occasional Contributor II

This is a great thread, had a lot of info I was wondering about.  I have a further question though. There were a couple of small differences in the way tool parameters were implemented between 10.0 and 10.1/10.2, specifically the way multivalue parameters were handled using the GetParameter... method. (Used to be they were acquired as valuetables, which was a little cumbersome.)  I have a toolbox I wrote for 10.0 which I just upgraded to work with 10.1/10.2.  I assume that all of the code itself will be compatible, but are there any small differences (like the multivalue parameter) between how scripts and tools will work in 10.1/10.2 and 10.3?

0 Kudos