Select to view content in your preferred language

python beginner needs instant help calculating field

Jump to solution
12-02-2015 01:04 PM
AMiller
Deactivated User

Hi, I haven't yet learned how to use python, I know a tiny bit. I am using ArcMAp 10.2. I want to use a python program to Calculate a filed as a sequential ID, as I found instructions for in "Help" under calculate field examples (Accumulative and sequential calculations).

I am at a loss as to how to enter the info properly in the calculate field dialogue boxes. I have tried a few times, not at all sure where my basic problem lies. I need to do this real fast, but I just get lost or nowhere. Can you give my python future a quick boost? What do I type in the code block? what do I type in the other area? how do I have to alter the code for my scenario (from as it is typed in the help example?)

What type of field can I use for my new ID? I created a text field, is that ok?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AMiller
Deactivated User

Hey, that’s awesome, thanks for sending. Adrienne

AnnaPereponova
New Contributor

Hey! I'm joining to follow discussion! I'm currently taking a course at the Virtual Campus from esri-academy, but there's only the instructions for working with previous version (9.smth I think), where Python was not introduced yet. So I'm really getting stuck t some tasks and this is the tool that I will really need for my work.

0 Kudos