python addin tool label?

Jump to solution
07-31-2014 10:24 AM
KevinBell
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all!  I've got a very simple python addin consisting of a single tool that allows the user to draw a polygon.  It works great.  How do I label the tool?  Right now it shows my little polygon icon, but I'd rather have some text next to it or some sort of label.  The tool tip works just fine, but a label would be better.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kevin,

It easy: Need to make a change in your config.xml file.

<Tool caption="YOUR TOOL TITLE" category="category" class="class" id="id.class" image="" message="Message" tip="Tip">

<Help heading="Heading" />

</Tool>

When you use the add in wizard there is a section for caption at the top for you TOOL. This is where you Put a title for your tool.

BUT!

If you also set an image for your tool, ArcGIS will read the xml and put the image there instead of your Caption (Title)

So to fix, do not have an image, just the caption filled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kevin,

It easy: Need to make a change in your config.xml file.

<Tool caption="YOUR TOOL TITLE" category="category" class="class" id="id.class" image="" message="Message" tip="Tip">

<Help heading="Heading" />

</Tool>

When you use the add in wizard there is a section for caption at the top for you TOOL. This is where you Put a title for your tool.

BUT!

If you also set an image for your tool, ArcGIS will read the xml and put the image there instead of your Caption (Title)

So to fix, do not have an image, just the caption filled.

0 Kudos
KevinBell
Occasional Contributor III
So to fix, have an image, just the caption filled.

Do you mean DON'T have an image?

0 Kudos
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

correct, I fixed my response. Long day. sorry.

0 Kudos