Python Add-In not installing in Customize Dialog in ArcMap

11-28-2016 01:00 PM
KentWilliams
New Contributor II

I have a Python add-in for ArcMap that I wrote that has a single toolbar with a couple of buttons on it.  The config.xml is set to target ArcGIS 10.1.  If I install the add-in by double-clicking it, it installs and works just fine.  The problem is, the clients use Citrix, so they can't double-click the add-in to install it into their roaming profile. 

When I attempt to install the add-in via the Customize dialog in ArcMap, I get the following error message: "No GUI components found in this Add-In. Add-In version does not match".  I'm seeing this in Version 10.3.1 and 10.4.  It was written on a machine running 10.3.1, but as I said has the target version set to 10.1 in the config.xml file.

It doesn't matter whether I directly open the Customize dialog from the ArcMap menu or whether I open it via the Add-In manager.  Adding the Add-In from file in the Customize dialog always results in this error message.

What do I do to get around this?  Is this a bug?

Tags (2)
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Most of my addins are set to 10.2 (and work in 10.3 and 10.4) so I'm not sure if 10.1 is different.  Also, have not tested in the citrix environment....but, have you tried to see if you can access the tool directly from the toolbox?  Not the workaround you are hoping for (i.e. you lose the GUI), but might be worth seeing if it will run this way.

Also, we do lose the GUI and addin in Pro....not something that I am happy about...but this may have to be the workaround for that for the foreseeable future. (also, Pro uses python 3.x, so there may be changes for that too).

EDIT: I also have some tips here (fwiw) https://community.esri.com/thread/74093 

0 Kudos
KentWilliams
New Contributor II

Changing the target version to 10.2 has no effect - same error message.  

I'm not having trouble getting the tools to execute.  I'm having troubles with one method of installation not working properly.  Coincidentally, it's the only method I have available to allow users to install the Add-In themselves in a Citrix published app environment without involving a sys admin.

My issue is that if ArcMap is accessed as a published Citrix app, users cannot install the Add-In by double-clicking.  The way they should be able to install it is through the ArcMap Add-In Manager or Customize Dialog but that appears to be broken, giving me the error I mention above.

The only working option I have is by manually copying the .esriaddin file into the proper user roaming profile folder, which the users cannot do themselves.  Either that, or customize the Add-in manager to look in a specific folder somewhere for Add-ins, which isn't technically an installation and is subject to people accidentally messing around with files/folders.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not on the network services side, so I'm not sure how the Citrix (XenDesktop, in our agency) is set up either. Is it possible to have a common network location that the addin is placed, then have it search in that location?  Or as mentioned, put the tool box in a location, not as  addin but as a toolbox and have them access that thru ArcCatalog.  Not as push-button, but may get it to work.  

I do see quite a few ArcGIS/Citrix docs online, but nothing specific to addins.

ArcGIS on Citrix - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

http://downloads2.esri.com/support/TechArticles/Citrix_XenApp_and_Best_Practices_for_ArcGIS.pdf   (2011)

https://community.esri.com/thread/7178 

Are you the one that set up the Citrix side?  If not, is their someone there that understands that setup better that you can talk to?  Otherwise, might be a tech support call.  If you find out anything, please include a summary/  I've very interested in this since I use addins often, and the Citrix part is pretty new for us (and only about 1% that have switch to that for ArcGIS access).

0 Kudos