Select to view content in your preferred language

Ordering fields within arcpy cursor to iterate groups and delete extras not working properly

Jump to solution
06-07-2017 08:24 AM
MollyMoore
Frequent Contributor

I am attempting to order based on two fields within an arcpy cursor so that I can then eventually delete the rows I do not want. Below is an example of the table I am working with:

Within each grouping of "El_Season" that is the same (in this case OIDs 1&2 and OIDs 3&4) I would like to sort based on "COUNT_OccProb" and by "prob_code" in descending order within a cursor so that once sorted, I can delete the extras within groups that have lower values. Currently, the code does not sort successfully and is just printing OIDs 2 and 4 as the extras where it should be printing OIDs 1 and 3 if working as I would like.  This is the code that I am working with:

case_fields = ["El_Season"]
max_field = ["COUNT_OccProb", "prob_code"]
sql_orderby = "ORDER BY {}, {} DESC".format(case_fields, ",".join(max_field))

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(statistics, "*", sql_clause=(None, sql_orderby)) as cursor:
    case_func = itemgetter(*(cursor.fields.index(fld) for fld in case_fields))
    for key, group in groupby(cursor, case_func):
          next(group)
          for extra in group:
            print extra # currently have it printing extra instead of deleting for testing purposes
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you can mark one of the comments as the answer, it will let others know you aren't seeking additional feedback.

0 Kudos