Order of polylines after intersection

06-15-2015 09:27 AM
DusanADAM
New Contributor

Hi, everybody.

I find the way to calculate/uncover the order of polylines (from start to end) broken by intersection process of original (entire) polyline. (I found out new FID or ObjectID is not reliable base to use.)

1. In the beginning, I have polyline layer (to be intersected) and polygon layer (intersecting).

2. I do the Intersection (Analysis), resulting to number of new descendant polylines.

3. I find original order of descendant polylines under the parent polyline.

I am not able to arrange such python script. Please, can you help me? Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Dusan, I'm not clear what you're asking. Are you looking for the downstream order of your lines? You mention a python script. What do you want your script to do?

0 Kudos
DusanADAM
New Contributor

Hi, Sephe.

Sorry for fuzzy explanation. Yes, I am looking for the downstream order of my lines. I need the order ("index") as attribute value of the line. It could be solved as python script, but I would be glad for any other solution. I have been using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2, Advanced License. Thank you.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

You might try using the Sort tool, perhaps with a spatial sort method. You could then use the FID field, which would be ordered in the new dataset, or add and calculate a field of your own.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Are you wanting to sort spatially if you have advanced license you could use ArcGIS Desktop

DusanADAM
New Contributor

Hi, Wes,

I have been using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2, Advanced License. Thank you for help.

Dusan.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

You might want to look into a geometric network it has a upstream, downstream trace options. Unfortunately I'm not sure how it works.