Newlines in labels not working in some instances on export to PDF

10-07-2015 04:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all

Wondering if anyone else has experience anything like this.

I have a script that takes an mxd with data driven pages enabled, sets a definition query to narrow down which pages to export, refreshes and exports the layout to a pdf. It has been working fine for over a year, but recently we've noticed quite a few labels where the newlines (carriage returns) are not working, resulting in a single long line of text instead of multiple lines.

At the moment I'm stumped as to why it's happening - the only clues are that it seems to be labels which are on/outside/close to the mask (the polygon layer used for the data driven pages), and recently the server was upgraded to 10.3.1 from 10.2.2.

The attached images show what I mean. One shows three correctly labels as per a screenshot from the mxd open in ArcMap. One then shows the label for 'Block 2B' as one single line as per the output from the arcpy script.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to check would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

-Paul

correct_block_labels.png       INCORRECT_block_label.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Here's an update that makes it even more strange... I've just tested and realised that the script seems to run fine if run from ArcMap locally on the server. But I have this published as a GP service, and it seems to be when run via the GP service that the labels sometimes display as that single line.

I have tried republishing the service with no change.

0 Kudos