Module import appears to fail in python tool box published as geoprocessing tool (ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid.)

03-14-2021 11:47 AM
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

We recently upgraded our ArcGIS server from 10.6 to 10.8.1 and I later noticed that after publishing a geoprocessing tool, the REST service returns an error when accessed:

ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid.

The problem appears to be caused by an unresolved import. The import used to work but now I believe it is failing.  I was able to recreate the error with the default toolbox - adding the lines below to the .pyt file

sys.path.append(r'C:\Git_Repository\ROW\DEV\ROW_as_habitat\row\consolidation')
import empty

The tool runs on ArcGIS Pro OK and publishes OK. But the geoprocessing REST service fails.

When I copy the import file to the toolkit directory, there is no problem. The problem only happens when python has to find it outside of the current directory.  That tells me that the problem has something to do with how the consolidation is handled.

I assume I'll have to report this to ESRI - has anybody else had this problem?

I'm running this on Windows, ArcPro 2.6.1, and ArcGIS Server 10.8.1

10 Replies
MichaelAugust

Hi Don - did you ever find a solution to this issue? We've been getting the same error with the simplest of geoprocessing tools, and ESRI support cannot seem to pin down the issue.

0 Kudos
DonMorrison1

No - I got moved back to a 10.6 server where the problem doesn't seem to occur.  Once that server moves to 10.8 (any day now I hope) and I can recreate it I plan to open a problem report.  But I don't have high hopes of getting a quick resolution.  As you mentioned, it happens in the most trivial case so I don't expect there is anything I can do to work around it.  I'll post the problem report number here if I get one.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Thanks, I will do the same. I think we're on our third support tech in 2 mos. trying to solve this, who has now suggested we nuke everything and reinstall our entire 10.8.1 Enterprise - so not going well. Thanks again!

One oddity is that we can't seem to select a Message Level when using the "Share As Web Tool", here's a snapshot - the dropdown is simply blank, maybe it's a clue for someone out there as to why our simple geoprocessing services won't run:

messages.png

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

we're getting the same issue.  Very strange - curious if you end up on any resolutions....

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Nothing yet.  Does anyone from ESRI (or anyone) have any ideas as to why this dropdown would not get populated? i.e. what is not talking to what in our Enterprise system? could it be a permissions issue with Server, or a security issue with Portal? I think if we could find the root cause of this little oddity our geoprocessing services might work again.

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

we're having a similar issue with the tool is not valid with arcmap and python 2.x toolboxes publishing to Enterprise 10.8.1.  Also worked fine in 10.6.1....

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Yes - that's our issue as well...I'll post here if we get any news.

0 Kudos
PieterE
New Contributor II

Similar issue over here. GP services published in PRO (before or after) upgrade to 10.8.1, result in ERROR 000816: The tool is not valid. GP services published in ArcMAP still work...

0 Kudos
PieterE
New Contributor II

For us, the problem only occurs for tools in toolboxes that are stored in a geodatabase (sde). Tools published from a toolbox in a folder work.

0 Kudos