join field tool with overwrites

07-13-2016 08:33 AM
CameronCole1
New Contributor III

I am using model builder to join the excel table I have with a parcel layer based on an ID field. However, every time I update my excel file and re-run the tool the data doesn't overwrite what was already in the parcel table. it just adds all of the fields to it again.

Do I need to pull it out to python and add an overwrite function or is there a easy tool I can just drag into model builder to overwrite what is in the table. Please give a little insight of what is my best practiceExport Graphic.jpg

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

remove the old join and rejoin the new. Given that you are updating this all the time, it is pointless to make the join permanent except for backup purposes... but who needs a model for that

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Dan, How do Cameron Cole can update excel file without remove join?!!

If Cameron Cole can update his excel file, he should be removed join before.

so I don't think the  Remove Join is the problem of this issue.

thanks

0 Kudos
CameronCole1
New Contributor III

Abdullah,

I made a few changes and actually got it to work. This is the new model I made to make it work. I need the Remove Join so the parcel table didn't have the same info joined to it every time I joined the new excel file. Export Graphic.jpg

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Cameron,How do you can update excel file without remove join?!!

Why do you need to put Remove Join so?

0 Kudos
CameronCole1
New Contributor III

Abdullah, so if I don't remove the join my parcel layer will still be looking at my old excel table for the information and will still have the joined data associated with it. Once I remove the join my parcels will be back to just there original information. then from there I can rejoin the parcels to new information as it come up.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

That is not the correct answer.

Because excel will not allow you to update the file if the file still joined in arc map.

so I wonder that you think that Remove Join is the solution for your thread.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You would get an error if the join wasn't removed, ... you remove the join, update the information  and it can be rejoined with new information when the need arises.

AbdullahAnter

yes,Dan. you are right.

so Cameron will not need to put Remove Join in his model.

because if there is update for table it is mean removed join before.

CameronCole1
New Contributor III

AWESOME!! I am right now creating scale models to then work the full data set. working out the kinks now is great!

Thanks so much for all the feed back and brain storming. I hate being the only GIS person in the office so I cant brain storm with people that know what I am going though!