Import a shapefile to an SDE using ArcGIS Desktop

12-19-2021 02:45 AM
PedroGIS92
New Contributor

Hi community,

We are thousand of people using ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 and working in a SDE of a transportation system.

We basically create/delete/update (at the same time) the features of every layer of the table of contents (for example the bus stops). To create a point/bus-stop in the SDE, I do it manually and I have to retrieve the values of every field from my CSV/Excel file ! At the end, my bus-stop is created and a unique OBJECTID is generated and only then I can save the changes so they can be visible to the rest of users.

I need a way to import a shapefile (that content >100 points/rows), using the ModeldBuilder, to the SDE knowing that the bus-stops database has a spatial index and is represented by 10 fields/columns with different types.

Can you please show me how to do this ? This will literally saves me a hundred of hours !

Thanks, P92.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does it have to be a model?

Have you look at the related posts to the right of your question?

For example

Solved: Copy Shapefiles to Enterprise Geodatabase Feature ... - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PedroGIS92
New Contributor

Thank you Dan
Not necessarily a model !

In the python script made by LanceCole in Solved: Copy Shapefiles to Enterprise Geodatabase Feature ... - Esri Community, how can it checks if my shapefile's fileds (name and type) match the targeted ones located in the sde geodatabase ?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is your intent to load data once into SDE and then edit the data in that environment or will this be a frequent process at some interval as data editing is only occurring in the shapefiles?

0 Kudos
PedroGIS92
New Contributor

Hi Michael,
It's the first option : I need to load data once into SDE and then me and the rest of the users can edit these data in that environnment

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Fields are objects and they have properties

Field—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Names and/or types can be compared directly

you can use ListFields if you need to get a field list first.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos