how to use pythonaddin opendialog

Jump to solution
01-30-2016 10:05 AM
BillRichards
New Contributor II

Is it possible to use the OpenDialog in pythonaddins module to retrieve/open a file like a CSV file? The example given in the guides and online help show an example for filtering on "*.txt"; however, this simply doesn't work as only certain file types seem to be shown no matter what the filter argument is checking for (and txt files don't seem to be one of those file types, neither is "csv")

EDIT:

An issue that was preventing the dialog from functioning for me was that I was using the C:\ root directory as the starting location. Interestingly, the OpenDialog (and ArcCatalog) does not show TXT or CSV files in the c:\ root. However, everything operates OK when using a subfolder....

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This is also an issue with ArcGIS Pro Connect to a folder—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

I am beginning to think that this is by design... as well as a good idea.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This is also an issue with ArcGIS Pro Connect to a folder—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

I am beginning to think that this is by design... as well as a good idea.

BillRichards
New Contributor II

Yes,

However, if by design, why are individual XML files and all ArcGisPro-supported image files in the root directly listed and selectable in the dialog?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Bill... Pass comments on to those in charge... the new ArcGIS Ideas site comes on stream soon and you don't need to leave the comfort of GeoNet... (what next? Starbucks and Timmies in the Lounge?)

ArcGIS Ideas coming to GeoNet    I just use it

0 Kudos