How to update symbology in a script tool without updating from another layer?

09-25-2019 12:52 PM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I am making a script tool that will result in a point feature class, and I would like to update the symbology on that feature class in the current map so that the results are displayed the same for each user. I have a field with unique text values that I want to use for the symbology, and I'm trying to find a way to say "Value A is size 10 red point", "Value B is size 12 blue point", etc., without using a reference layer. Because this tool will be shared, it strikes me as cumbersome to have an additional layer that I have to share with the tool to get the same symbology.

I've been digging around forums, etc. online for a while and can't find a solution in which the symbology is coded within the script tool. Any basic ideas for workflow or places I can go for answers is greatly appreciated!

I am using ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LeoLiu1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ryan,

How about saving your layer into a layer file as a template. Once you finished processing you data in your script, just invoke Apply Symbology From Layer tool to load symbols from the layer file into your current layer.

You can share this layer file with your script tool together, or put it in a network share.

Apply Symbology From Layer—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks,

Leo.