Select to view content in your preferred language

Help Create a Python Cheat Sheet

09-25-2012 11:41 AM
NoneNone1
New Contributor
Hey everyone. I am trying to build a huge Python cheat sheet of all the basic/most used commands in the Python programming        language. Here is the link if you would like to contribute:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K8MEVfBwYCVx7tT1aavaj-MbjMFLCzXiVUykKsmpC2s/edit 

Please no trolling or spamming.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Something like this?
http://www.addedbytes.com/cheat-sheets/download/python-cheat-sheet-v1.png

There are lots out there already, not sure why something like this is necessary to create from scratch. Also consider there are different versions of python and some commands change between them.
0 Kudos
NoneNone1
New Contributor
I guess I didnt explain properly, I want to make a cheat sheet that has the dead basics of python and a description in plain english so anyone can read it. I want to help other people get off the ground with Python, as I am trying to do myself
0 Kudos
ChristopherThompson
Regular Contributor
I sort of think there isn't likely to be such a thing? Define 'dead basics'.. and relative to what exactly? Your 'basic' needs are unlikely to be what mine are.  There are tons of help, tutorials, etc. and you can book mark the ones you tend to find more useful so they are there for ready access.  I think the thing that helped me most as I started digging into Python was to simply get my head around the basic types that you can work with (string, numbers, lists, tuples, dictionaries), from there then its a matter of what you do with data that dictates the 'basics' - do you work with text files a lot? do you need to work with GUIs? how do you output data? and etc..

As far as helping people get off the ground, perhaps a set of very simple examples of how different kinds of data (and tailored to the data and issues you encounter in your work environment) can be processed would be useful.  So really you're looking at a collection of code snippets that show people how a list is processed, or how you open a file and read it line by line, and the like.  I've found that simply telling people about a particular command is never very helpful, usually someone needs to see a tangible, even if very simple, example of how that is used before they can see how it applies to their problem.
0 Kudos