Handle OpenSSL.SSL.Error

Jump to solution
06-04-2020 12:45 PM
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm using beautifulsoup to scrape a list of URLs for Covid-19 info which in turn is used to update our ArcGIS Hub page. Once in a while, a URL is broke and I get a bad handshake error. I want my script to handle this then move on. Currently, there is one URL in the list that is broke, and that one is causing the error(s) here. I tried the following exception block on these errors to no avail.

I also tried these approaches to no avail:

while loop‍‍
except requests.exeptions.SSLError as error:‍‍
except...
    print("error")‍‍

try:
    item = soup.find(string=re.compile("Grab and Go")) if   
soup.find(string=re.compile("Grab and Go")) else "N/A"
        print(item)
except (OpenSSL.SSL.Error, ssl.SSLError, urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError, 
requests.exceptions.SSLError) as error:
        print(error)
        break‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\contrib\pyopenssl.py", line 456, in wrap_socket
    cnx.do_handshake()
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\OpenSSL\SSL.py", line 1915, in do_handshake
    self._raise_ssl_error(self._ssl, result)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\OpenSSL\SSL.py", line 1647, in _raise_ssl_error
    _raise_current_error()
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\OpenSSL\_util.py", line 54, in exception_from_error_queue
    raise exception_type(errors)
OpenSSL.SSL.Error: [('SSL routines', 'tls_process_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')]

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 600, in urlopen
    chunked=chunked)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 343, in _make_request
    self._validate_conn(conn)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 839, in _validate_conn
    conn.connect()
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connection.py", line 344, in connect
    ssl_context=context)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\ssl_.py", line 347, in ssl_wrap_socket
    return context.wrap_socket(sock, server_hostname=server_hostname)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\contrib\pyopenssl.py", line 462, in wrap_socket
    raise ssl.SSLError('bad handshake: %r' % e)
ssl.SSLError: ("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'tls_process_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",)

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 449, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 638, in urlopen
    _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2])
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\urllib3\util\retry.py", line 399, in increment
    raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.cm201u.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /news_/free_breakfast___lunch_pick-up_days (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'tls_process_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),))

File "pathtofile", line 33, in <module>
    response = requests.get(url, headers=headers)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 75, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 60, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 533, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 646, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 514, in send
    raise SSLError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.cm201u.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /news_/free_breakfast___lunch_pick-up_days (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'tls_process_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),))‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

You haven't got your requests.get call inside the try block, you have unrelated code in there, the soup.find stuff.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

At the end of the day, you want to pass on any error that requests is generating whether it is DNS, SSL, timeout, etc...; so just catch requests.exceptions.RequestException and only that.

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Joshua,

OK, thanks. I tried that. But, I got the same errors in the same order as before.

for url in urls:
    #download the homepage
    response = requests.get(url, headers=headers)
    #parse the downloaded homepage and grab all text
    soup = BeautifulSoup(response.text, "lxml")
    try:
        item = soup.find(string=re.compile("Grab and Go")) if soup.find(string=re.compile("Grab and Go")) else "N/A"
        print(item)
    except requests.exceptions.RequestException as error:
        print('there is a requests error')
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

You haven't got your requests.get call inside the try block, you have unrelated code in there, the soup.find stuff.

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you. That was it!

Something else. The URLs are in a list. Is there an easy way to identify the URL that threw the error? I'm starting a new thread here: https://community.esri.com/message/933511-request-module-try-except-error 

0 Kudos