Select to view content in your preferred language

Handle multithreading in Python?

04-28-2023 03:05 AM
volkswagon
New Contributor

As a user in a community forum, I am curious about the use cases of lambda functions in Python and how they differ from regular functions. Can someone provide a clear explanation and some examples? Moreover, I would like to know how to handle multithreading What is the purpose of the "yield" keyword in Python?What is a Python module and how do you create one?What is the purpose of the "self" keyword in Python?How do you handle file input/output in Python?What are the different types of data structures in Python?How do you use regular expressions in Python?Python and what are the best practices to follow while implementing it in my code. Any tips or advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

That is a lot to answer all at once - each of those is probably it's own discussion!  I can't hit everything but here are some highlights:

• Use PEP 8 for guidelines - they are what most use and it will help with readability of your code
  • Lambda - it's a small, anonymous expression.  Takes multiple arguments but only has one expression.  Regular functions are a block of code that can do multiple things.  Check out W3Schools.com for some testing & brief explanations.
  • Multithreading can be interesting, and if you look into that, you should know the difference between that and multiprocessing.  Check out this course from PennState world campus that looks at it from a GIS standpoint.
  • handling file input/output - are you looking to manipulate certain file types or are you looking for a prompt that lets you enter in a value?
  • Regular expressions - they can be useful for narrowing down what is allowed to be inputted - basically they form a search pattern that you check strings against.  i.e. it will only let you enter a value that resembles a phone number in this particular format (###) ###-#### or other things like that.

Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

And `yield` is the syntax for creating a generator function.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Look through the content that is available here:

geog 485 & geog 489 

They provide most, if not all answers to your questions and provide examples that you can step through to see it on your own.

0 Kudos