Geocoding - Error - Address Locator does not exist or is not supported

07-27-2018 12:48 PM
NikhilBhandari
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to automate geocoding a table of addresses. When I do it in ArcGIS/ArcMap via the geocoding toolbox, I have no problems. When I try to run the same using the python window, I get this error:

ERROR 000732: Input Address Locator: Dataset Ready-To-Use Services\Geocoding\ArcGIS World Geocoding Service.GeocodeServer does not exist or is not supported
I am not sure what's going on. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
PS - I have also posted this question on StackOverflow.
Code that I tried. System: ArcMap 10.5.1 on Windows 10 machine.    
import arcpy
address_test_txt = "C:\\temp\\address_test.txt"
address_locator = "Ready-To-Use Services\\Geocoding\\ArcGIS World Geocoding Service.GeocodeServer"
arc_test_0719_shp = "C:\\temp\\arc_test_0719_2.shp"
add_fields = "'Address or Place' Field5 VISIBLE NONE; City Field6 VISIBLE NONE; State Field7 VISIBLE NONE;ZIP Field8 VISIBLE NONE"
# Process: Geocode Addresses
arcpy.GeocodeAddresses_geocoding(address_test_txt, address_locator, add_fields, arc_test_0719_shp, "STATIC")

Full listing of the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):  File "", line 1, in 
    arcpy.GeocodeAddresses_geocoding(address_test_txt, address_locator, add_fields, arc_test_0719_shp, "STATIC")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcPy\arcpy\geocoding.py", line 295, in GeocodeAddresses    
raise eExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000732: Input Address Locator: Dataset Ready-To-Use Services\Geocoding\ArcGIS World Geocoding Service.GeocodeServer does not exist or is not supported
Failed to execute (GeocodeAddresses).
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is that an online service? I don't know how you would get there from the inputs your provided

Tutorial: Geocode a table of addresses—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
NikhilBhandari
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan.   We have an organization account, and the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service shows up automatically.  I tried replacing the locator address with "https://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/GeocodeServer " but still get the same error.   The locator that I used in my code is same as the one that I get if I use a model builder and export the model to a python script.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

I would suggest using an ArcGIS Server Connection file in your python script to geocode using the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service, which is described in the following script. 

Batch Geocoding using Python

NikhilBhandari
New Contributor II

Thanks so much.  I will try out the script that you suggested.

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

@ShanaBrittHello, in this script they use arcpy.mapping.CreateGISServerConnectionFile(). This is apparently an Arcpy Mapping function used in ArcMap. I'm using Pro and the script errors on that function:

AttributeError: module 'arcpy' has no attribute 'mapping'

There's since been an idea posted about getting this to work in Pro. Just checking if there was any news on this. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/add-creategisserverconnectionfile-to-arcpy-for/idi-p/...

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JaredPilbeam2 I'm not aware of any movement on the idea for CreateGISServerConnection for arcpy in Pro. I did reach out to the team that would be considering this, so hopefully they will respond in that idea post.