Generate/send email when a feature is added to a hosted service

Jump to solution
02-24-2015 09:47 AM
ChandreyeeLahiri
New Contributor III

Is it possible to have an email sent (to a list of recipients) whenever a point is added to a hosted File GDB on a public web-app?

The idea is to originate a permit application process from a web-map/app: applicants can add a point for the location they need a permit for, enter their information and apply for a permit (of particular kind). An email alerts officials that a permit has been applied for. The rest of the approval process flow from there and the hosted data is used to collect applicant information (including location for permit) as well as flag the status of the application as it makes its way through various stages of the approval process.

Any ideas on how to have edits trigger emails?

67 Replies
EdwardHankins
New Contributor II

sure thing,  glad i could help! 

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Edward,

Is it possible to add more than one URL feature server in one email? Please advise. Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
EdwardHankins
New Contributor II

yes you can have multiple URLS in the same script.  Just be sure to change the name of the list (oidList) to something like oidList2 or the like, otherwise when it runs on the new URL it will overwrite what was in the original. 

AlexP_
by

Edward, 

I added more than one URL and made some changes. It was sucess but not expected. Is it possible to communicate thru message or email? Please let me know.

Thank you for assistance. 

0 Kudos
EdwardHankins
New Contributor II

yes we can do that.  please post me your email address and I will email you.  I dont want to post mine because web scrapers will pick it up and add me to junk mail.   I am not too familiar with how this site works but maybe you can DM it to me as well.

I have learned quite a few tricks with these REST service query scripts, so I would be happy to share them. 

AlexP_
by

Sounds good. I understand.  

DM would be following each other here to display DM on our profile.

0 Kudos
APBlough
New Contributor II

Hey Jake,

I am trying to use this and change it a little to work through a portal connection as well as doing something slightly different. 

My goal is to generate an automated email every time the creation date has been over 50 days without the status being changed. Do you think this is possible to accomplish? 

The definition query in ArcPro is 

DateTieIn <= ( current_timestamp - interval '50' day) And DateTieIn >= timestamp '2020-01-01 00:00:00' And GISStatus = 'READY FOR GIS'

What do you think?

-APB
0 Kudos
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

You could also try using some of the Marketplace applications that have been developed to do this as well. For example, Esri UK have developed the QuestionWhere Builder that allows you to get the user to fill out a survey and add points to a map before submitting it as a new point to the feature service. This can also be used to send an email to an email alias or individual:

https://marketplace.arcgis.com/listing.html?id=ef411f82398b483a9ee2a421bb45bada

ChandreyeeLahiri
New Contributor III

Thanks Andy.

This looks like a wonderful resource though the price tag is fairly steep. It gets to my goal of capturing information from the public using a map and using it in AGOL to follow a workflow.

Are there any ESRI free apps that come anywhere close to this?

Where do I go to browse the various free apps for downloads?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Chandreyee, I don't think there is anything free that is comparable to QuestionWhere Builder at the moment, if there was, then people wouldn't pay for QuestionWhere Builder! You can check yourself by searching the Marketplace: https://marketplace.arcgis.com/

Get a free trial and test it out would be my suggestion, and you can make a decision from there as to whether you would like to pay for QuestionWhere, or spend time developing something yourself.