Field calculator python script and OBJECTID ordering issue

Jump to solution
07-14-2015 12:58 PM
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

Versioned SDE Geodatabase 10.2.2 / ArcMap 10.2.2 / Python27

I have a text field called FEATURE_UNIQUE_ID that consists of a 4 letter asset code and an increment number. I have added this field to several existing feature classes. To populate the field initially, I have a simple python script that I run in the field calculator (python codeblock) that assigns the value sequentially to the field. For example: WWTK101, WWTK102, Etc.

For the most part it works great. However, on some feature classes the number assignments start at an arbitrary value greater than that of the starting value assigned by the script. I cannot figure out why? I have tried editing as the data owner as well as geodatabase administrator. I have tried initializing rec to 100, to force the script to start at the value of 101. I have tried editing from the default version as well as running the script both before and after compressing / rebuilding indexes on those feature classes. I really need to figure out what is causing this issue, or I'm going to have to reorder these by hand -> not fun.

You will see in the screenshot below that in this particular feature class the numbering starts at 281 even though the OBJECTID starts at 1. The values are sequential, as in there are no values less than 281 in the column. they go from 281 up.

Any help is appreciated. please see below for screenshots and script code. Thanks.

Screenshot - 7_14_2015 , 2_47_59 PM.png

This code goes in the codeblock:

rec=0
strRec = ""
def autos():
 global rec, strRec
 pStart = 101
 pInterval = 1
 if (rec == 0):
  rec = pStart
 else:
  rec += pInterval
  strRec = "DRCB" + str(rec)
 return strRec

and the function autos() is called underneath. 90% of the feature classes I have used this on start numbering from 101 without issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just wondering... if you would run this script (do verify and change the settings on lines 6 - 10), does it still happen?

import os
import arcpy

def main():
    # settings
    ws = r"Database Connections/name of your connection.sde"
    fc = os.path.join(ws, "DRAINAGE.CatchBasin")
    fld_name = "FEATURE_UNIQUE_ID"
    prefix = "DRCB"
    start = 100

# Start an edit session. Must provide the worksapce.
    edit = arcpy.da.Editor(ws)

# Edit session is started without an undo/redo stack for versioned data
    #  (for second argument, use False for unversioned data)
    edit.startEditing(False, True)

# Start an edit operation
    edit.startOperation()

# start update cursor
    with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc, (fld_name)) as curs:
        for row in curs:
            start += 1
            row[0] = "{0}{1}".format(prefix, start)
            curs.updateRow(row)

# Stop the edit operation.
    edit.stopOperation()

# Stop the edit session and save the changes
    edit.stopEditing(True)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

BTW: if you don't want to run this script I understand, I was just wondering if the same behavior happens when using an update cursor. However, you could add a new field and change the setting on line 8 where the output field is listed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
XanderBakker

Is there a specific reason why the numbering should start with 101 (something to do with the number being 3 digits large perhaps)? If so this can be managed using formatting leading zero's as explained in Some Python Snippets .

Would this have to do with it being a versioned database, and looking at a version makes it skip some records but does count them?

0 Kudos
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

The numbering doesn't really have to start from 101, it's just been requested. I'm more concerned with why it happens on just some feature classes. The fact that it is versioned hasn't caused it to skip any yet when doing the field calculator. so far they are all sequential (even if they don't start from 101 as I want). I have run into the versioning skip issue with some insert triggers, but not here. It's not really a mission critical issue, I just want to understand why it's happening. I appreciate your reply!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Just wondering... if you would run this script (do verify and change the settings on lines 6 - 10), does it still happen?

import os
import arcpy

def main():
    # settings
    ws = r"Database Connections/name of your connection.sde"
    fc = os.path.join(ws, "DRAINAGE.CatchBasin")
    fld_name = "FEATURE_UNIQUE_ID"
    prefix = "DRCB"
    start = 100

# Start an edit session. Must provide the worksapce.
    edit = arcpy.da.Editor(ws)

# Edit session is started without an undo/redo stack for versioned data
    #  (for second argument, use False for unversioned data)
    edit.startEditing(False, True)

# Start an edit operation
    edit.startOperation()

# start update cursor
    with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc, (fld_name)) as curs:
        for row in curs:
            start += 1
            row[0] = "{0}{1}".format(prefix, start)
            curs.updateRow(row)

# Stop the edit operation.
    edit.stopOperation()

# Stop the edit session and save the changes
    edit.stopEditing(True)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

BTW: if you don't want to run this script I understand, I was just wondering if the same behavior happens when using an update cursor. However, you could add a new field and change the setting on line 8 where the output field is listed.

collindegueurce
New Contributor III

I'll run it...give me one minute...

0 Kudos
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

I stand corrected. The update cursor did in fact work. Thank you guys!

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you done any explicit sorting before running the field calculator?  For example, have you sorted the OBJECTID field first and then run the code?

My other suggestion was going to be using an update cursor as Xander Bakker​ has suggested and provided code for already.