FGDB - Error when writing unicode into blob field

Jump to solution
09-07-2018 05:25 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

I got an SystemError : error return without exception set error when trying to write a unicode into a blob field into a table inside a FGDB using arcpy.da.UpdateCursor with ArcGIS v10.3

for instance:

import arcpy

value = u"a unicode string! with some accent éàèû"
with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(r"c:\\my_fgdb.fgdb\my_table", ["blob_field"], where_clause="FID = '0') as cursor:
    for row in cursor:
        row[0] = value
        cursor.updateRow(row)

I know blob can store string, but is it normal it cannot store unicode?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap uses Python 2.x, inserting or updating a Blob field with a Python str object works because str is a sequence of bytes.    A Unicode string is a sequence of Unicode code points, not bytes.  Since a Blob field is designed to store binary data, you can't directly insert or update a Blob field with a Python Unicode string.  If you want to work with Unicode strings in Blob fields, you will need to encode and decode the strings first.

import arcpy

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(r"c:\\my_fgdb.fgdb\my_table", ["blob_field"], where_clause="FID = '0') as cursor:
    for row in cursor:
        row[0] = value.encode('utf8')
        cursor.updateRow(row)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap uses Python 2.x, inserting or updating a Blob field with a Python str object works because str is a sequence of bytes.    A Unicode string is a sequence of Unicode code points, not bytes.  Since a Blob field is designed to store binary data, you can't directly insert or update a Blob field with a Python Unicode string.  If you want to work with Unicode strings in Blob fields, you will need to encode and decode the strings first.

import arcpy

for row in cursor:
        row[0] = value.encode('utf8')
        cursor.updateRow(row)

View solution in original post

MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Joshua,

Thank you for the information about the blob field!

Do you have an idea why storing unicode in text field works?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The ArcGIS Text field is actually Unicode:  ArcGIS field data types—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The characters used for text vary by language. To allow text to more easily convert between languages, ArcGIS uses Unicode to encode characters.