Exporting to Shapefile Slow in Python

04-13-2017 11:26 AM
JulioGarrido
New Contributor III

Greetings,

I need to update a 3rd-Party vendor with updated centerlines, address points, and parcel shapefiles form our SDE.  I can do it though ArcMap and ArcCatalog  by right-clicking on the feature in the TOC and exporting to shapefile. It takes about 2 minutes to manually run the entire export process for all three.  When I try to do the same through Python, the address points and centerlines takes about a minute to process and the parcels takes over 12 hours.

My parcels are for the entire county and there are only about 67K records.  The shapefile DBF is 191Mb when I run it manually.   I have tried both FeatureClassToShapefile_conversion as well as CopyFeatures_management.  Both take a ridiculous amount of time to process parcels into a shapefile.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Through python... do you have the relevant script or is it too long to post?

0 Kudos
JulioGarrido
New Contributor III

Not long at all.  Very basic. (attached)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The script is simple,  Featureclass to featureclass would have been my first try... but then you failed to mention that this is ArcMap 9.3.  It also appears that python isn't getting its fair share of server face time which I suspect is the real culprit.  Only suggestions for speeding up would be to save local and monitor your cpu useage during the process to see if memory is maxing out.  If it runs speedily through the arcmap interface, there is no obvious reason why the script is running slower other than competition for memory

0 Kudos