this is my code

import arcpy

import os

#set workspace

arcpy.env.workspace = "C:\\Users\\Documents\\Wetland"

ws = arcpy.env.workspace

#create a list of features

fcl = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses()

I made sure the path to the folder is set up correctly. The folder is full of shapefiles. I disabled already background processing in ArcCatalog but it stills comes up with

ERROR 000732: Input Table: Dataset C:\UsersDocuments\Wetland\Anagance_clip_diss does not exist or is not supported

ERROR 000732: Join Table: Dataset C:\Users\Documents\Wetland\Anagance_clip_full does not exist or is not supported

Failed to execute (JoinField).

can anyone see the problem?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Christoph
New Contributor

If anyone reads this: Convert your files into a geodatabase and it should work (worked for me!)

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is your code truncated? I can't see anything beyond your ListFeatureClasses()

By the way to post code, click Use Advanced Editor, click the >> icon and pick Python. Then you can create this:

import arcpy

import os

#set workspace

arcpy.env.workspace = "C:\\Users\\Documents\\Wetland"

ws = arcpy.env.workspace

#create a list of features

fcl = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses()

DonOpgenorth
Esri Contributor

I've moved your post into the  Python space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. I have also added in a few additional tags. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Don

0 Kudos
Emilbrundage
New Contributor III

I would guess that since they are shapefiles you just need to add ".shp" to then end of your full path string.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, but that's not true. The arcpy.ListFeatureClasses() will return a list that enables you to access the data without the need to put '.shp' at the end. See below an example of a list returned from a folder with shapefiles:

[u'myShapefile1.shp',u'myShapefile2.shp']

0 Kudos
Emilbrundage
New Contributor III

This is true. However, it does not appear that Chris is using the list generated by his ListFeatureClasses list for his process that fails. Instead he is perhaps using the result of clips, dissolves, and other geoprocessing. Regardless, his error lists the feature class full path without the ".shp" extensions.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

In python you can easily cut off the extension by using splitext. The point is that we are just guessing until the entire code is exposed...

0 Kudos
Emilbrundage
New Contributor III

I would not consider my answer a guess (despite my wording), since Chris indicated he was working with shapefiles, and the error returned does not include the '.shp' extension in the feature class full path.

XanderBakker

The error is caused executing a Join. You did not post the code referring this action. Please post as Curtis suggests.

0 Kudos