New Contributor II

Does anyone use python 3.4.1 in ArcGIS?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Alice, Python 3.4 will not work with Desktop, just with Pro (64 bit only).

You must use 2.7.x with 10.1/10.2. I advise folks to use the Python installer shipped with ArcGIS from within Desktop unless they have a special reason to do otherwise - it's just a lot safer - so you know you won't break ArcGIS with a version of a library it isn't expecting.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just curious as to why 3.4.1 is needed? Is there something that has been added in terms of modules that you need access to?  Arc is pretty well tied to 2.7

0 Kudos
alicexu
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan. It seems having some issues in my CalculateField python scripts. So, I think to try a newer version of python to see if that can resolve the problems. Alice

Please refer to my earlier discussion:

Inconsistent CalculateField with python vs VB

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A long time ago I examined this issue and found a bug with the precision when the spatial reference for the shapefile was not defined and Arc... defaulted to single precision rather than double precision.  It wasn't a python issue but an arc issue.  In the case of shapefiles, circular features and/or arcs are represented as n-gons so there will be some difference in geometry calculations

alicexu
New Contributor II

Dan, you are right - it's arc issue. But I need to deal with the difference in geometry calculations in python scripts. I think I'm going to try the VB option. Thanks. Alice

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is the point I was trying to make...should you be interested, you should read this thread carefully where you can compare Arc* calculations (using only the class information) versus traditional pure python calculations.

0 Kudos
RafaelFernandes
Esri Contributor

Alice,
I am not using Python 3.4.1, but Python 3.4 has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro. Try your script in Pro and see if it works.

If you are not apart of the beta community for Pro here is more information about how to Sign In | ArcGIS for Professionals

0 Kudos
alicexu
New Contributor II

Thanks Rafael. I'll check it out later...

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Alice, Python 3.4 will not work with Desktop, just with Pro (64 bit only).

You must use 2.7.x with 10.1/10.2. I advise folks to use the Python installer shipped with ArcGIS from within Desktop unless they have a special reason to do otherwise - it's just a lot safer - so you know you won't break ArcGIS with a version of a library it isn't expecting.

BennyWhite
New Contributor II

Curtis,

Your reply was with 10.1/10.2 Desktop.  This is 5 years later and we are now at 10.7.  Is it still the case that 10.7 ArcGIS Desktop (not Pro) is incompatible with Python 3.7.4, which is the latest version of Python at this date?

0 Kudos