Select to view content in your preferred language

Delete Specific Feature Class

Jump to solution
03-15-2022 03:35 PM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I am trying to read my SDE database and then delete specific feature classes if they exist...

I keep getting error below....not sure whats up....do I need to make a different connection to the db?

ExecuteError: ERROR 000601: Cannot delete C:/GIS_Scripts/Update/OS@Connection.sde/database.DBO.FEATURES_update. May be locked by another application.
Failed to execute (Delete).

def main():
    sqlPath  = r"C:/GIS_Scripts/Update/OS@Connection.sde/"
    fc_Delete = ["database.DBO.FEATURES_update","fc_Out2a"]

for fc in fc_Delete:

fc_path = os.path.join(sqlPath, fc)
      print fc_path

if arcpy.Exists(fc_path):
        arcpy.Delete_management(fc_path)

0 Kudos
10 Replies
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

I got this Traceback from an exception from arcpy.management.Delete

Traceback (most recent call last):
  [...TRIMMED THE SAUSAGE-MAKING OF MY SCRIPTS...]
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py", line 6977, in Delete
    raise e
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py", line 6974, in Delete
    retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.Delete_management(*gp_fixargs((in_data, data_type), True)))
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 512, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))
arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 000601: Cannot delete <PATH_TO_SDE_FILE>\<DATABASE>.<SCHEMA>.<FEATURE_CLASS>.  May be locked by another application.
Underlying DBMS error [42S02:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Cannot drop the procedure 'DBO.i68_return_ids', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.] [<DATABASE>.<SCHEMA>.<FEATURE_CLASS>]
Failed to execute (Delete).

I had another table that I had created using non-Esri SQL. That table had a foreign key referencing my feature class. Because the table and FK were both created with SQL, I guess SDE doesn't know about them, so wasn't tracking them, and thus was unable to delete the feature class with another table referencing it. As soon as I dropped the FK, the error went away. 

I know we're supposed to always use Esri tools to manage database objects related to feature classes, but this seems like such a basic thing that it surprised me that arcpy's Delete couldn't figure it out. 

0 Kudos