cumulative sum

10-12-2012 02:22 PM
TomCoveney
New Contributor
Hi,

I have two shapefiles, one is a polyline (Oil Pipeline) and the other is a polygon (land parcels). What I want to is too have a field display the distance (in km) from the start of pipeline when it crosses into a polygon and another when it leaves the polygon. To make things a litte harder in some instances the pipeline crosses then leaves, then re-crosses the same polygon again, I'm only interested in when it first enters the polygon and when it finally leaves.

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherThompson
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

I have two shapefiles, one is a polyline (Oil Pipeline) and the other is a polygon (land parcels). What I want to is too have a field display the distance (in km) from the start of pipeline when it crosses into a polygon and another when it leaves the polygon. To make things a litte harder in some instances the pipeline crosses then leaves, then re-crosses the same polygon again, I'm only interested in when it first enters the polygon and when it finally leaves.

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Would an intersection or union between your polygon and polyline shapefiles give you what you need? Those tools would segment the polyline where it crosses the polygon, and you would then have to calculate the length of the line segments.  If you only wanted one value per polygon then you could 'dissolve' the polylines by the polygon ID and create a multipart shape.
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Another option is to use the Linear Referencing tools. Intersect the pipelines with parcels, create a route from your pipelines, locate the intersections along the route, make route events from the locate table, and export to a permanent feature class. This calculates the distance from the beginning of your pipeline to each intersection point - you're still left with the task of deleting those intermediate points.
0 Kudos