csv.reader to updateCursor

05-01-2018 07:23 AM
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

How do I modify my syntax to properly read an csv file and write the contents to a shapefile using an update cursor ?

# Read csv file & write to shapefile via update cursor
import csv,os

updateCursor = arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(r'sample.shp', ["Name", "OrderCount","Time","Miles"])

with open(r'CsvToShape.csv','rb') as f:
    reader = csv.reader(f)
    for row in reader:
        route = row[0]
        order = row[1]
        time = row[2]
        mile = row[3]
        for row in updateCursor:
                row.setValue(route = Name)
##                row[1]= order
##                row[2] = time
##                row[3] = mile
                updateCursor.updateRow(row)
22 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You're using 'row' twice, for different objects. This cannot result in success.

You're also attempting to use setValue on an array, which is wrong (DA cursors are very different creatures the the old , deprecated cursors)

The canonical approach to this problem is to read the CVS once, into a dictionary by key column, then to loop the update cursor once, consulting the dictionary. Double-nested looping with cursors is exceeding slow, and should be avoided.

- V

JumaKhudonazarov1
New Contributor II

I am trying to find solution to CSV file that automatically  become numeric . When i finish  my survey I export it to CSV file  and I am using RAnalitic  software where i need to convert text to number  as mentioned  yes or no text should be 1 or 2 and so on. Is there any function i can use  to do this?   

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

This is a different question, but no, there isn't a function to make arbitrary text into integer. 

It is, however, simple to use a dictionary to assign an numeric lookup value for text values if you create a dictionary that performs the encoding for you:

lookup1 = { 'Yes'  : 1, 'No'    : 0, 'DEFAULT' : -1 }

for txt in ['Yes','No','YES','NO','Maybe']:
    alt = -1
    if (txt in lookup1):
        alt = lookup1[txt]
    #else:
    #    alt = lookup['DEFAULT']
    print("{:>10s} : {:d}".format(txt,alt))