Creating polygons from points?

08-12-2014 11:56 PM
ChloeAsmar
New Contributor III

Hey all!

So I have a point shapefile and I would like to build a polygon for each consecutive 3 points in this shapefile.

- I am having a hard time figuring out how to build a polygon from points in first place.

- Is there a way to write a Python script to do that? and If yes, is it possible to add an iteration function in the script so that it build a polygon for each consecutive 3 points in my shapefile?

Thanks a bunch!

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is possible through arcpy and the polygon class.  The example at the bottom of the link provides such an example.  Your task will be to read the features in as triplets and then save the results, however, you don't indicate your level of familiarity with programming in python or arcpy in general.

0 Kudos
ChloeAsmar
New Contributor III

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply,

I am still an amateur when it comes to programming, but learning!

I usually try to look for available scripts and sort of combine them and try to modify them to fit what I need.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You should indicate the format of your point data to facilitate further guidance.  There may be some pre-existing tools that will help with the reading of the data, for example, the Add XY data tool and the Create Feature Class tool.  These can either be used manually within ArcMap or their associated code can be incorporated in a script to facilitate automation

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Chole,

Are you trying to create a TIN surface ArcGIS Help 10.1? If so you'll need 3D Analyst extension for that ArcGIS Help 10.1‌.

0 Kudos
ChloeAsmar
New Contributor III

Hey Riyas, no I am just trying to build separate polygons 🙂

0 Kudos
JanWijkstrom
New Contributor

You could use this model as a base for for your work

Points to polygon.png

Best regards JanW

0 Kudos