CreateSQLiteDatabase function missing in ArcMap 10.3

Jump to solution
08-10-2015 04:46 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

All,

I have attempted to create a SQLite database from the Python console within ArcMap 10.3 and have been following the simple instructions discussed in CreateSQLiteDatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop.

A poster in 2014 describes the same problem but it is clear they never got a solution: dir function does not show CreateSQLiteDatabase too

When I type "arcpy.gp." it never offers up CreateSQLiteDatabase(). I am using Windows 7, 64bit version. I have run a repair on ArcMap from the Programs and Features part of the Control panel thinking I may have had a corrupted installation but this has not resolved it. My version of ArcMap was an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3.

Is there some other hidden (and undocumented) step I need to do to make this work?  Help seems to suggest that it should all be there and working. Could it be some sort of conflict with python (not sure I am suggesting a red herring here)? If I look in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\DatabaseSupport\SQLite there appears to be a 32 and 64 bit version. If I type in the python console window within ArcMap

import sys
print sys.version

I get 2.7.8 (default, Jun 30 2014, 16:03:49) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

Also attempted the same thing on a colleagues computer who has 10.3 and when I type "arcpy.gp." it too never offers up CreateSQLiteDatabase().

Any advice would be appreciated!

Duncan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanyaHaddad
New Contributor III

I have virtually the same setup as you, and had exactly the same problem - the command does not display in the type-ahead prompts at all, and when I first ran it I got an error of "RuntimeError: Cannot create output...".

In my case I was able to get it to work when I realized that I should reverse the direction of the slashes in my specified path for the file from "\" to "/". After doing that, the command ran fine despite not being visible in the type-ahead prompts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TanyaHaddad
New Contributor III

I have virtually the same setup as you, and had exactly the same problem - the command does not display in the type-ahead prompts at all, and when I first ran it I got an error of "RuntimeError: Cannot create output...".

In my case I was able to get it to work when I realized that I should reverse the direction of the slashes in my specified path for the file from "\" to "/". After doing that, the command ran fine despite not being visible in the type-ahead prompts.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I'm running ArcGIS 10.3.0.4322 on Windows 8 64bits and the funcionality runs without problems using PyScripter. It is true that it isn't shown in the list when arcpy.gp. is typed (not even in the Python window). It must have been implemented in a different way as other tools.

Remember that there are several correct ways to specify a path. This works:

'C:/Data/Counties.sqlite'
r'C:\Data\Counties.sqlite'
'C:\\Data\\Counties.sqlite'

This won't:

'C:\Data\Counties.sqlite'
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Just to clarify for people reading this thread, when they refer to " type-ahead prompts" they mean you have to type the full command out as you see in the help as it does not auto display like all other arcpy functions. I'm guessing it is a bug, seems weird that all other functions have intelli-sense like behaviour but not CreateSQLiteDatabase().

0 Kudos