Select to view content in your preferred language

Convert rotated grid netcdf to normal lat/long grid to be visualized in ArcGIS PRO?

07-04-2023 01:39 AM
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

I have some netcdf files that are based on rotated polar gird and as Arcgis Pro have a limitation of not working with rotated Grids. is there a way that i can transform or convert my files to normal grid so that i visualize them in ArcGIS Pro and work further. I don't want to use any third party software for this purpose. Python could be an option but i am not sure how to implement a script that works for all files irrespective of variables and dimensions as i am new to the world of netcdf.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Working with NetCDF can be challenging and require investing in either tooling or data manipulation skills to get what you want, especially if you are working with specific models that store their data in ways less aligned with the more traditional data representations. The Pro Python distribution includes both netcdf4 and xarray which can work with NetCDF files directly, see for example this user who shifted values with netcdf4.  The xarray package has a number of reshaping operations including "roll" functions which can be used to shift the data as well. I would recommend you start small with a specific dataset, in practice it will take some learning before you can easily manipulate arbitrary NetCDF files if they differ in structure.

Cheers, Shaun

0 Kudos