Conda Comes to ArcGIS Pro

03-05-2016 02:08 PM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was looking over the detailed agenda for the Esri Developer Summit, and I came across a session that states Conda is now included with ArcGIS Pro:  Harnessing the Power of Python in ArcGIS Using the Conda Distribution.

Python has a rich ecosystem of packages you can use in your own code, but installation used to be complex. Conda is included with ArcGIS Pro, and allows you to easily install libraries into your Python environment, and distribute that code to others. Join us and learn to bend Python to your will.

*This session will be offered complimentary on Esri Video following the Developer Summit

I must admit, this was news to me, and I haven't had time to dig into it more.  At this point, I haven't found much else in terms of documentation about it, but at least this session's video will be available for free after the summit.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Has anyone who has installed 10.4 noticed the availability of the package? the scipy stack is of course available.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just installed Pro 1.2 on an ArcMap 10.4 machine, and I must be missing something because I don't see Conda or anything that looks like Conda.  This is starting to feel a bit like the ArcGIS 10.3.1 SciPy announcement.  How do those financial types couch it again, in their prospectuses?  Oh yeah, "forward looking statements."  Maybe the session description is a present-tense forward-looking statement.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Forward-looking statement or incomplete statement?  Arguable, I guess, but Pro 1.3 is what should have been stated.  For now, the plan appears to be just for Pro, not for ArcMap.

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Conda will ship with ArcGIS Pro 1.3 -- the mismatch in the talk description is my mistake that we didn't catch till after it went to press. If you'd like to learn more about Conda and how it relates to ArcGIS, I've published the presentation we gave on it at DevSummit here:

https://4326.us/esri/conda

In terms of the SciPy stack, some of its history of integration is discussed in last years' talk on SciPy, but I've revised and expanded the content to include current status as of 10.4 / Pro 1.2 in this years' talk on taking advantage of the SciPy stack with ArcGIS:

https://4326.us/esri/scipy

If you have any specific questions or issues, I'm happy to help and will work to address them.

Cheers, Shaun

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the update/clarification and for posting the links.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have verified that scipy, pandas, netcdf4 are all there in the Pro and 10.4 Python installs.

This really makes Anaconda much less critical for our users, most of them are using it to access pandas and scipy from 10.3.1.

0 Kudos
AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

I get so confused with product marketing these days and I am not even talking about product line names.

On the one hand I am supposed to read between the lines of a few technical sessions and perhaps an offhand remark in a blog post (oh, I think someone also chatted with someone else and noted it in GeoNet that theyheard if from a developer) and understand the details of ArcGIS Pro gretting major changes in licensing.  Then, when one looks at the same sources of information (sessions at the vendor's conventions - Fed, Dev or Int'l) and information seems just as explicitly stated, whether it is SciPy in 10.3 or Anaconda in 10.4, I find out that I have gone to far.

Ultimately, the only thing that I think that I am sure of here is that nothing is sure and I am not even sure about that as I feel that someone will pull a rabbit out of the labyrinth in this thread that explains everything the way it was supposed to be understood if we stood in their shoes.  I will remember to bring extra socks and band-aids.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The new license scheme for ArcGIS Pro 1.2 is totally spelled out in the help.

0 Kudos
danashney
New Contributor III

Link?

0 Kudos